Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Toggle Navigation Menu

Office of Financial Aid

Incoming Students

Choose Language:

Are you a new student to Linfield University?

Welcome! We look forward to helping you throughout your time at Linfield. The following information will help guide you through the financial aid process. It will never replace a personalized conversation with one of our financial aid representatives though. So, please always feel free to contact us by phone at 503-883-2225 or email for additional support.

Steps to completing your financial aid

Whether your plans are to study on our McMinnville campus, our Portland campus or through Online and Continuing Education, you must first be admitted to Linfield in order to be eligible for finanical aid at Linfield University. Once you are admitted, please follow these next steps.

1) Complete FAFSA®

Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®). The 2024-25 FAFSA will be available by December 31st for the next academic year. Be sure you list Linfield's federal school code of 003198 to have your FAFSA® sent to Linfield.

The FAFSA form collects information to determine and calculate the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is a dollar amount that is an evaluation and estimation of the family’s financial strength. Your EFC is subtracted from your Cost of Living (COA) to determine your “eligibility” for need-based financial aid.

Linfield, the U.S. Government, and the State of Oregon all offer sources of financial aid that Linfield can award if you do not meet the eligibility requirements. Your must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for renewal of awards.

2) Review your documentation

Review any emails from our office in case we are requesting any documents from you to complete your financial aid file. This may include Verification documents.

As a new student, you will receive a paper award letter in the mail. Accept or decline your offers by completing and returning the letter to Linfield's Office of Financial Aid.

OCE students should work with their Academic Advisor to complete their Academic Plan. If your academic plan changes, notify the Office of Financial Aid at

3) Are you accepting Federal Direct Stafford Loans – subsidized or unsubsidized?

If so, you must also complete the following Federal Student Aid requirements

  • Entrance Counseling
  • Master Promissory Note (MPN)

4) Do you have a parent intending to borrow a Federal Direct Parent Plus Loan?

On behalf of an undergraduate student, parent(s) applying for a Federal Direct Parent Plus Loan must complete and submit the Linfield Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Request Form to the Office of Financial Aid.

Upon approval through the credit check process at Linfield the parent must also complete a Parent PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note.

5) Are you receiving financial support from any outside resources?

These include scholarships, tuition reimbursement, employer assistance. If so, they must be reported to the Office of Financial Aid. You may send an email to and report the name and amounts. The checks can be mailed to the Office of Financial Aid for processing.

These do not include: veterans benefits or vocational rehabilitation.

6) If you are a McMinnville campus or Portland campus student, did you accept federal work-study or campus employment on your award letter?

Note: this step is not applicable for Online and Continuing Education.

If you accept federal work-study or campus employment on your award letter and intend to work at Linfield, you must:

  • Apply for a job. You can search for openings on Cat Connect
  • Once hired, complete employment paperwork with the Office of Human Resources in order to begin working
  • Note that Linfield does not guarantee students a job

Documents may be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid in the following ways:

  • Scanned and emailed to
  • Faxed to 503-883-2486
  • Regular mail:
    Linfield University, Office of Financial Aid Unit A484
    900 SE Baker Street
    McMinnville OR 97128
  • In-person:
    Linfield University, Melrose Hall, Suite 030

Disbursements of financial aid

Financial aid will be disbursed electronically for eligible students at the beginning of each semester.

  • Although, Federal Pell Grant funds will not be disbursed until after the census date (last date to add or drop a course without a “W” for withdraw) of each semester.
  • You can view your student account transactions on WebAdvisor under the Financial Profile tab. Click on “Financial Statement.”
  • If you are attending on a full-time basis, you are required to be enrolled in at least 12 credits per semester to be eligible for Linfield scholarships, grants and federal student aid.
  • If your financial aid disbursements exceed your Linfield charges, you will receive a refund within 14 days, once your financial aid has been disbursed to your student account.
  • Direct Deposit is available for all Linfield student refunds. Sign up online through your Student Account Center.

Dropping courses will impact your financial aid

Dropping below six credit hours may be cause for:

  • Cancellation of your current loan disbursements
  • Cancellation or reduction of your grant
  • Cancellation of your in-school loan deferment status for previous loans and/or immediate repayment of previous loans
  • An impact on your Satisfactory Academic Progress

Dropping all courses is considered withdrawing from Linfield. The Office of Financial Aid is required to review the percentage of financial aid that you earned for your payment period. Please refer to the Return of Title IV Funds and Satisfactory Academic Progress Policies.