Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer Toggle Navigation Menu
Pioneer Hall seen through the pine needles on a tree

Sexual Misconduct Reporting Options

If you are experiencing an emergency or are in immediate safety risk, call 9-1-1. If you are concerned that someone may be monitoring your internet history, exit this page and open a private web search page.

What are my options if I want to make a report?

You have options in how you make a report. There is no single right way to share your experience and ask for assistance.

Linfield University is committed to ensuring you can make a report in a way that feels safe to you.

Click on any of the reporting options to the right to see which option might be the best fit for you. There is no differentiation in process, support services available or outcome based on the way you make your report.

Still have questions? Email us at

Online Report Form   Report in Person   Report over the phone

What happens if I make a report?

Regardless of how you report, someone will speak to you about whether there are academic support services or safety measures that you might be in need of, as well as provide you an overview of your options to seek a resolution under the University policy.

You don't have to know what you need or what you'd like to do when you make a report. A person on the Sexual Misconduct and Relationship Support Team will walk through different options with you so you make an informed decision.

Please view our video about Title IX and the Linfield Sexual Misconduct & Relationship Violence process, reporting options and resources. 

Meet your investigator

An investigator conducts interviews and collects information throughout the investigation. Linfield University uses a trained, experienced investigator from Grand River Solutions who is committed to creating a trauma-informed and student-centered space where parties can share their experiences.

Have questions about what an investigation looks like and how it might differ from other types of investigations? Contact anyone on the support team to find out more.

Jess Irvine
Title IX Coordinator
Grand River Solutions

Frequently asked questions

  • What is a "formal report"?

    A "formal report" is when a person who has experienced sexual misconduct or relationship violence fills out a formal report form with the Title IX coordinator requesting the university to investigate an incident. A formal report includes information such as the complaint that is being reported as well as the name of the person who is being named as the actor of the conduct or the "responding party." Regardless if you make a formal report or not, you can always access support services.

    Review examples to help better understand how a formal report differs from other instances of disclosing information to someone on campus.

    Note: If you would like the university to investigate an incident of sexual misconduct or relationship violence, you must first make a formal report with the Title IX coordinator.

  • Does a report lead to an investigation?

    One option under the university's policy is to have instances of sexual misconduct and relationship violence investigated. Considerations that go into whether an incident is investigative include:

    1. Does the conduct being investigated fit under the University policy?
    2. Does the person who is reporting want an investigation to occur?
    3. Does the University have jurisdiction over the parties of the case?

    See definitions of types of conduct that fall under the university's Sexual Misconduct and Relationship Violence policy, including conduct that is covered by federal Title IX. There are often a wide variety of types of conduct that might fit under any one definition. You can always ask before determining that what you experienced may not be covered. Even if something doesn't fit under the university's policy you may still be able to access academic and safety services.

    The university will always take into consideration whether the person reporting would like an investigation to occur. There are some instances in which the university might need to take action such as any instance that involves abuse of a minor.

    View flowchart of the response process
  • Can I access academic support services or safety measures?

    Yes. The first thing that someone will go over with you after a report is whether you are in need of academic support services or safety measures. Regardless if you decide to file a report, there are support services you can access to help with your safety and access to an education.

    Some safety measures will require notifying the person who is being reported. For example, if you would like the person to no longer make contact with you, the University would need to notify the person who has done the conduct about who they need to avoid.

  • Will the person I'm reporting about be notified?

    Not right away. When a report is made, the first concern is whether the person who made the report is safe. Next is whether the person needs any academic support services to ensure they can still participate in academic programs.

    The person named in the report will not be notified that you made a report without a person first talking to you about your options and any safety measures you might need to be put into place to safely move forward with an investigation. In addition to safety measures being put in place, there are prohibitions against any person retaliating against another party of a report.

  • What if the incident involved drugs or alcohol?

    Linfield University's Sexual Misconduct and Relationship Policy has a substance clemency. You will not be disciplined for violations of the university's drug and alcohol policies when reporting conduct related to an incident of sexual or physical violence.

    Disclosing whether you or another person were under the influence or drugs or alcohol, and feeling safe to share that information, helps the investigator have a clearer picture of an incident as well as impacts on consent.

  • Can I report to law enforcement?

    Yes. You always have the option to report to law enforcement. If you are experiencing an emergency or are in immediate safety risk call 9-1-1. For non-emergencies, you can contact Portland Police at 503-823-3333 or McMinnville Police at 503-434-6500.

    Making a report to law enforcement does not exclude you from being able to make a report on campus as well. You can access any off-campus resources you might need while still pursuing the on-campus investigation process.