What to Expect at a Consultation
At the Writing Center, walk-ins are always welcome, but you can make an appointment if you want to make sure you get enough time for a consultation.
Appointment sheets are posted on the window outside of the Writing Center, or at the Circulation Desk in Nicholson Library. You can also make an appointment through our website. (Coming soon)
When you come for a consultation, you'll sit with a trained student who is eager to work with you. You will be asked to read your paper aloud for maximum engagement, learning, and revision. Each session is about 30 minutes long, but you can make an appointment for longer. At the end, you'll fill out a short form, receieve a blue sheet if needed, and get a stamp on your punchcard.
- Bring one or two copies of the paper you're working on, preferably printed out, but on your computer is OK, too.
- Bring your assignment sheet.
- Bring a pen.
- Bring a willingness to learn.
Come Early in the Writing Process:
- This way we can help you brainstorm and revise BEFORE the paper is due! You will benefit much more from a session if you have time to revise and learn.
Come with a Few Specific Questions:
- We cannot just proofread your paper. At the Writing Center, we want to first help you with your ideas and organization, and sentence level revisions come last.
- Please feel free to take a helpful handout. We have handouts about grammar, the writing process, research tips, and more! Or check out our online handouts and videos.