Launching through the Surf: The Dory Fleet of Pacific City
The Linfield College Department of Theatre and Communication Arts, the Linfield Center for the Northwest, the Pacific City Arts Association, and the Dorymen’s Association of Pacific City have joined forces to engage in a collaborative college and community venture focused on the historical and contemporary role of dorymen and women in the life of the coastal village of Pacific City, Oregon. The project involves the collection of oral histories from individuals associated with the Pacific City Dory Fleet and the creation of a digital archives generated from artifacts included in personal collections.
The results of the research will be communicated in several ways, including:
- an original multimedia theatrical script and production presented at Linfield College and in Pacific City;
- a permanent digital archives of the history of the Dory Fleet housed in the digital archive at Linfield College, DigitalCommons@Linfield College; the archives will include audio and video stories, transcripts, photos of the interviewees, and digitized versions of photographs and other memorabilia from the collections of those associated with the fleet;
- scholarly papers and poster sessions;
- a traveling poster exhibit;
- a visual art exhibit and celebration focused on the dory traditions in Pacific City.
All of these endeavors will result in documentation and interpretation of an important way of life and cultural treasure unique to the Oregon coast. The project began in the summer of 2011 and will continue through the spring of 2013.
To view the collection visit http://digitalcommons.linfield.edu/dory/.