Student Account Refunds - Credit Balances
Financial aid applied to a student account that exceeds the amount a student has been charged results in a credit balance that may be refunded to the student. Financial aid will be applied to student accounts beginning the first week of each semester. Linfield begins refunding credit balances the second week of each semester. Refunds are processed on a weekly basis by the Student Accounts Office automatically for McMinnville & Portland campus students starting the second week of each semester, respectively. Online & Continuing Education student refunds cannot be processed until after meaningful interaction in the class has been verified; typically, 4 weeks into the semester.
A credit balance on a student's account that is the result of "Estimated Financial Aid" being deducted from the charges on the account, is not a true credit balance until the financial aid is disbursed. Thus, it is NOT available to the student until all financial aid for the quarter has been posted to the student's account.
Students must select a "refund preference" on their Student Account Center to receive student account refunds.
Nelnet-TMS has three refunding choices:
- Direct Deposit-ACH (this is the fastest way to receive your funds)
- Deposit to a reloadable prepaid credit/debit card
- Paper Check (defaulted method if a preference is not chosen)
- Can take up to 14 Business days to receive.
- Paper checks are mailed to those students' home mailing address of record with Linfield College.
Setting up Direct Deposit as Your Refund Preference:
To set up direct deposit, go to your Student Account Center and select the "Refunds" option and set your “Refund Preference” to Direct Deposit.
Direct deposit authorization allows the credit balance on a student's account, after all charges have been paid, to be sent directly to the student's bank account. For students who anticipate credit balance refunds after all charges on their student account have been covered, direct deposit is the quickest way to receive those funds.
* Parent Plus Loan Refunds *
Linfield processes all Parent Plus Loan refunds directly to the borrower in the form of a check payment to their mailing address on file. Federal regulations require that credit balances resulting from a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan be refunded to the borrower unless authorization is on file allowing the funds to be released to the student. An authorization must be on file for each Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan borrowed.
Refunds will automatically be generated if:
- There is a credit balance for the current term. This occurs when payments and/or financial aid disbursed (not pending or estimated aid) exceed charges
- There are no other balances due to the University
- The student is a financial aid recipient and is registered for at least as many credit hours as are shown on the financial aid award letter.
Refunds will NOT automatically be generated if:
- The student withdrew or took a leave of absence.
- Please allow 2-3 weeks for these to be processed after all adjustments to room, board and Title IV funds.
- The student is not currently enrolled.
- The term with the pending credit has not yet begun
If you believe a refund on your account should have generated but it has not, please contact Student Accounts Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for resolution.
FAQ'S– STUDENT REFUNDS
Why choose ACH for a refund or for payments from your school?
You can use your existing relationship with a bank simply by providing your account information quickly and conveniently online. ACH provides you with access to funds via your existing checking or savings account in 2-3 business days.
How are funds transferred to an account via ACH?
When funds are released by the school, they will then be processed for transfer from the school to the account number of the registered student. Access to these funds generally takes 2-3 business days. Access may vary depending on your bank's processes. Please check with your bank for more information.
How are funds loaded to the prepaid card?
- Refunds and other payments from your school are sent directly to the prepaid card account once the option is selected and funds are released by your school.
- Paychecks can be direct deposited into the prepaid card account if an employer offers a direct deposit option.
- Funds can be loaded at any Western Union® merchant
Can I access cash with the prepaid card?
Yes. You can access cash by using a participating ATM or by visiting a local bank for over the counter cash withdrawals. The amount of accessible cash is limited to the funds available on the card. Other restrictions, such as ATM daily withdrawal maximums, may apply. Search for ATMs now:
- Discover ATM Locations: discovernetwork.com/discovernetwork
- Allpoint ATM Locations: com/atmcoverage.aspx
Do I have to have a pending refund to get a prepaid card?
No. While the prepaid card is the quickest and most convenient way to receive school refunds or other payments from your school, any active student can request a card for accessing cash and making purchases. And once you have your card, any future refunds or disbursements can be loaded automatically.
For more information about the Discover Prepaid card through Nelnet-TMS, please visit your Student Account Center Refund Options page.