Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics are the fields that led to some of the greatest achievements in history and will inspire future innovation and creativity. From exploring planets to curing disease, STEM fields have been at the forefront of humankind’s best moments.
Linfield combines an interdisciplinary approach to the sciences with a broad and engaging exploration into all fields of inquiry, from literature to history to social structures to our diverse nation and world. Linfield student-scientists draw from other disciplines, and are better scientists because of it.
Our approach to high quality STEM education includes many opportunities for students:
- iFOCUS Pre-Orientation Boot Camp - a program prior to the first semester of new student enrollment offering an exploration of STEM fields with other new students.
- iFOCUS - in addition to the pre-orientation program, iFOCUS offers learning communities during the academic year, and a science lecture series.
- Interdisciplinary Sciences and Mathematics Seminar - a one-credit course open to students who are enrolled in an introductory STEM course, an opportunity for students to work collaboratively with students from a variety of other courses on projects that intentionally highlight the interdisciplinarity of STEM fields
- Collaborative Research - Linfield College has a long-standing commitment to providing research opportunities to our undergraduate students, the opportunity to participate in ongoing research with faculty mentors as part of Student Faculty Collaborative Research Grant program
- Internships - Linfield STEM scholars can take advantage of a number of internships in the area to gain experience in the application of STEM fields in non-academic settings
- Taylor Series - This monthly series of discussions and presentations providing STEM majors information about a variety of opportunities with career, graduate school, and internship information
The National Science Foundation views Linfield’s approach to STEM education in such high regard that in 2016 the Foundation granted Linfield a multi-year funding program that supports our approach. Linfield faculty will coordinate and enhance curricular and extracurricular experiences for STEM students. Scholarships will provide funding for academically strong STEM scholars with demonstrated financial need who might otherwise not attend Linfield College. Funds will be used to coordinate new and existing curricular and extracurricular programs to benefit S-STEM scholarship recipients and the broader STEM student population at Linfield.