RA Application Frequently Asked Questions
Beginning January 5, applications will be available online on Cat Connect.
Using Cat Connect, submit:
- Cover Letter
- Placement Preference Form/Schedule
RA Applicants will need to complete:
- Cover Letter (submitted on Cat Connect)
- Resume (submitted on Cat Connect)
- Placement Preference Form/Schedule (submitted on Cat Connect or to Mahaffey 127)
- Individual Interview (sign-up available at Mahaffey 127)
- Group Process Interview: An evening in February, or as part of your RA class (sign-up available in Mahaffey 127)
Returning RA applicants do not need to interview or participate in the Group Process (we already know you pretty well)
These forms are available to download and print on Cat Connect, look under “attachments” on the right hand side of the Resident Advisor Position page.
When you first log in to Cat Connect, you will need to upload your Cover Letter and Resume under the “Documents” tab. You will then be able to use the “Jobs” tab to search for “residence life”. Among the search results, you should find: “RA - Resident Advisor”
You have lots of options, a few suggestions are below
- Dear Resident Advisor Selection Committee:
- To Whom It May Concern:
- Dear Jeff MacKay and Area Directors:
Following Group process and a review of applications, first round candidates will be invited to sign up for individual interviews. Emails will be sent out to invite first-round applicants to sign up for an interview.
- Invited applicants can sign up for interviews at the Residence Life Office in Mahaffey 127
- Interviews will last 20 minutes
- You will be interviewed by 2 Area Directors
- Dress business casual
- Show up on time or early for your interview
- We do our best to keep on schedule, but your interview may begin a few minutes after your selected time.
Interview questions will ask you to reflect on your past experience as it applies to the RA position. Other questions will ask you to consider how you would respond as an RA in hypothetical situations.
As an RA, you will need to be able to work effectively as a member of a team. Our interview process reflects that need by asking you to participate in a series of group activities that we call "Group Process".
During Group Process, current RAs will make notes to help us remember the leadership qualities and energy you bring to a team environment. Remember, there is no one right type of leader. So instead of being the leader you think we want to see, focus on being yourself, your best self.
Your resume should include experience relevant to the RA position.
In your cover letter, you should express why you are interested and relate some of your key experiences/attributes to the position.
All applicants are encouraged to set up appointments at the Office of Career Development in Melrose 010, (503) 883-2733 to review application materials.
Questions about Cat Connect can be answered at the Office of Career Development in Melrose 010, (503) 883-2733.
Being an RA is a valuable learning experience that is recognized by employers and graduate programs. Additionally:
- RAs for the residence halls are provided with a free double room (worth approximately $6,400 per year) and a total yearly stipend of $1,000 and $250 for Jan Term.
- RAs for the suburbs receive the equivalent of a free apartment ($6,250 per year).
- Participation in fall training results in an additional $100 stipend.
While the class is not mandatory to apply for the position, applicants who have taken the class will be given preference. You can sign up for the class during course registration in the fall. We encourage everyone who is interested in becoming an RA, and those who just want to find out more about the position, to take the para-curricular class being held January and Spring. The class, IDS 060, meets twice a week for the first three weeks of Jan and Spring term.
You can take the class for one credit or you can sit-in on the class without registering if you do not need the credit. If you are planning to attend the class but are not going to be registered, please email email@example.com so we can be sure to include you on our class roster.
Applicants who cannot take the RA class will need to plan to participate in Group Process Interview on an evening in February (date, time, and location will be listed in the time-line on Cat Connect).