- Linfield College
School of Nursing


Q. What is the first step in the financial aid process after completing the FAFSA®?

You must be admitted to Linfield University-Portland Campus to receive an offer of financial aid from Linfield.

Q. What happens after I am admitted?

You will receive an award letter, Award Acceptance, and Guide to Financial Aid, read carefully for next steps.

Q. How do I get a Federal Direct Stafford Loan (subsidized/unsubsidized)?

Return the Award Acceptance letter accepting the loan. Be sure you have completed a Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN), and Entrance Counseling. Both can be completed online at https://studentaid.gov.

Q. How does my parent get a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan?

Complete your FAFSA®. Have your parent complete and submit a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Request Form, to see if their credit decision is approved. Upon approval your parent must complete their Master Promissory Note for a Federal Direct Parent PLUS at https://studentaid.gov. See Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans section of this website for more information.

Q. How do I get a private education loan?

You must initiate the contact with a lender of your choice to complete an application and Promissory Note. Once credit has been approved and the Promissory Note received, the lender will contact us to verify your attendance and certify the eligible amount of funds you may receive. The maximum amount you may borrow is the difference between your Cost of Attendance and the total amount of your other financial aid. See the Private Education Loans section on our website for more information.

Q. How do I apply for a Nursing Student Loan?

You cannot apply for this loan. Eligibility for this loan is determined by the Office of Financial Aid in accordance with federal regulations. Those eligible will receive an award offer on a funds available basis.

Q. How does Campus Employment work?

If offered Campus Employment, you may contact departments on campus directly or check with the Financial Aid Office regarding job openings. The Financial Aid Office will also assist students to fill out the required paperwork and direct you to the Accounting Office to be placed on the payroll. Jobs pay $9.75/hour and your award is approximately 10 hours a week. Be sure you do not count the Campus Employment amount on your Award Letter as part of the funds available to pay for tuition, books, or your dorm. You won't receive these funds until you earn them. Payday is the tenth of every month.

Q. How do I accept my financial aid awards?

Continuing Linfield students will login to their Self-Service account to accept or decline the financial aid offered. New students will receive a paper award offer called an Award Acceptance letter, and can accept or decline the aid types offered and return the form to the Office of Financial Aid for processing.

Q. When are refund checks available?

Refunds will be available, if your financial aid disbursements exceed your costs. Usually, within 14 days of the disbursement, if it creates a credit balance/refund.  As soon as possible after the start of each semester, generally 1 - 3 weeks after the beginning of classes. Please note: Federal Pell Grant funds are not disbursed until after the census date of each semester.

Q. How do I renew my aid next year?

Submit a renewal FAFSA®  each year. Students must list Linfield's federal school code of 003198 when submitting their FAFSA® to have the results sent to Linfield.

Q. What are the rules for keeping scholarships and grants given by Linfield?

You must register for and attend a minimum of 12 credits each semester and earn a minimum of 24 credits during an academic year, as well as meet other Satisfactory Academic Progress standards, such as a cumulative GPA at or above a 2.00, meet Pace and complete your program within the Maximum Time Frame.

Q. What if I elect to take less than 12 credits?

If you take less than 12 credits you will not be eligible for any Linfield institutional aid. Federal Loans require that you stay enrolled in at least 6 credits to be eligible. Federal Pell Grants are awarded based upon enrollment, so you may have eligibility as a full-time (12+ credits), three-quarter time (9-11 credits), half-time (6-8 credits), or less than half-time (1-5 credits) enrolled student. Oregon Opportunity Grant requires you to be enrolled at least as a half-time student. You will be charged full-time tuition for 10 through 18 credits or at the hourly rate (see College Costs for per-credit costs).

Q. How do I find scholarships?

Check the Financial Aid webpage for links to scholarship search engines. Oregon residents can search for scholarships through the Oregon Office of Student Access and Completion (OSAC) at www.oregonstudentaid.gov.