Prerequisite Guide for Nursing 2018
First Degree and Second Degree (Accelerated) Applicants Transferring from Other Colleges and Universities Directly to the Pre-Licensure Nursing Program
A minimum of 11 semester credits (16 quarter credits) in the lab sciences (biology/chemistry, anatomy & physiology, microbiology) and all other prerequisite courses must be complete (not in progress) at the time of application for admission consideration. Anatomy, physiology, microbiology, and nutrition must be completed within 7 years of the application due date.
A prerequisite GPA of 3.000 is necessary to apply to the Linfield-Good Samaritan School of Nursing. This is calculated on all prerequisite courses complete at the time of application. The minimum 3.000 prerequisite GPA must be maintained through the completion of all prerequisite coursework.
Transfer students applying for entry Spring 2019 or later will be subject to additional minimum requirements:
- Minimum 3.000 GPA in prerequisite science courses (biology or chemistry, anatomy & physiology, microbiology)
- Minimum 2.700 GPA in prerequisite anatomy & physiology courses
- Only one repeated grade for any anatomy or physiology course will be used in the calculation of the minimum GPA requirements. In the case where a student has more than one repeat on a single course, only the grade from the first repeated course will be used. A "W" or withdrawal from either an anatomy or physiology course will be counted as an attempt under this rule.
Prerequisite courses for all nursing students:
- WR 121 and WR 122 (most Oregon public colleges and universities) or equivalent college writing courses (3 semester credits or 5 quarter credits minimum; AP, CLEP, and IB credit does not apply)*
- One academic year of biology/chemistry with labs
- One academic year of anatomy and physiology with labs
- One term of microbiology
- One term of lifespan developmental psychology (must cover entire lifespan, birth to death)
- One term of nutrition
- One term of statistics (minimum 3 semester or 4 quarter credits)
Students must have 62 semester credits (93 quarter credits) of transferable coursework complete prior to beginning the program. Courses may be completed at any regionally accredited community college or university. Official evaluation of all transfer credit will be made after admission and confirmation into the program. Please be aware that any coursework graded C- or below does not meet prerequisite requirements and will not transfer to Linfield. In general, professional/technical courses will not transfer. Repeated courses (that is, courses with the same content) will only transfer once. Students who have questions about the transferability of any coursework should contact email@example.com.
Students seeking their first bachelor’s degree must also complete general education requirements prior to graduation. These may be completed during the nursing program, but it is recommended that the majority of these courses be completed prior to enrollment. The prerequisite courses above will satisfy many of the general education requirements, but five areas—Creative Studies (CS), Ultimate Questions (UQ), Vital Past (VP), U.S. Pluralisms (US) and Global Pluralisms (GP)—generally require an additional 3 semester credit or 4 quarter credit course.
*Second degree applicants satisfy the writing requirement by virture of their first bachelor degree. No additional writing courses are required.
Track your progress with a prerequisite GPA calculator.
Track your progress with a prerequisite course checklist (pdf), (doc). The .pdf version has the widest compatibility across different devices but must be printed and filled out manually, while the .doc version is a Microsoft Word Document and can be filled out electronically if you have the software to do so.
Detailed transfer guides are available for many area community colleges and universities.
An academic credit evaluation will be made for all confirmed students. Transfer credit will be considered for courses completed at regionally accredited two- and four-year colleges and universities only. A grade of ‘C’ or higher is required for transfer. (P/NP or S/U grading not accepted.)
If you have any questions regarding the transferability of your courses, please contact Mindy Cowan.