Smoke from regional wildfires has continued to cause air-quality and visibility problems all over Oregon and Washington, and in particular at Linfield’s McMinnville and Portland campuses. Shifting winds and rapidly changing conditions continue to make this a situation we’re watching very closely.
Both campuses remain open. With the health and safety of the community in mind, however, the following changes at the McMinnville and Portland campuses will continue until further notice:
- Outdoor activities, including field trips, outdoor research and/or classes held in any outdoor classrooms (tents), will be conducted remotely via Zoom. Students, look for information from your faculty members for details.
- Outdoor athletic practices are also canceled.
- Jerald R. Nicholson Library and the Richard and Lucille Ice Auditorium in Melrose Hall on the McMinnville campus will be available via swipe access to students looking for air-conditioned locations to study or (with headphones) take Zoom classes.
- Capacity: 100 people
- Monday – Thursday: 7:30 a.m. to midnight
- Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday: 10. a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sunday: Noon – midnight
- Capacity: 50 people
- Monday: 2:20 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. and after 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: 9:50 a.m. to 1 p.m. and after 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: After 5 p.m.
- Thursday: Before 1 p.m. and after 6:30 p.m.
- Friday: After 1:10 p.m.
Employees should determine their own situation and if it is safe for them to drive to work, otherwise they are encouraged to stay at home and use PTO. Faculty and staff with health concerns should take paid time off and remain at home. Please notify and work with your supervisor. Staff who do not have sufficient PTO hours in their bank, can use donated hours.
In addition, Linfield would like to remind all members of the community to:
- Sign up for CatAlert, the university’s emergency notification system
- Utilize the following health resources, if needed:
- McMinnville Students: Linfield Student Wellness, Health and Counseling Center, 503-883-2535. Open for phone and video counseling 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday.
- Portland Students: Contact Matt Hiller firstname.lastname@example.org or Mackenzie Larson email@example.com (for residential students)
- Employees: Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – free counseling, referrals and advising
We believe neither the Portland nor the McMinnville campus face any immediate danger from fires, though both cities have air quality, dense smoke and dense fog advisories. Community members should keep windows and doors closed in their residences, reduce time outdoors, drink plenty of water and follow the guidance of local fire and health departments.