What is 3D Printing?
3D printing is the process of taking a virtual 3D object and making it a tangible object. 3D printers use an additive process of laying multiple layers on top of each other to build the object. 3D printing is a type of rapid prototyping, printed items usually need some type of finishing.
How much does it cost?
There is a charge of $2 for (up to) the first 20 grams plus an additional $.10 per gram for each gram over 20 grams of material printed. Costs of prints will be charged to your account, or paid in cash, at pickup.
What kind of printer and material is used?
Nicholson Library has a Lulzbot Taz 6 and uses PLA plastic, polylactic acid, as the printing material.
Colors currently available:
How long does it take to get my print?
This is a new offering at Nicholson library, and we are unsure about the printing load. Please allow as much time as possible to get your print. We are hoping to have it printed for you within a week. Staffing is limited and prints can take a while to print.
Once you submit a print request, we will provide you with an cost and time estimate.
How do I print something?
- Create or find a previously designed object
- Design using millimeter as your units
- Find already designed models.
- Make sure it is formatted in .stl file format
- Recommended to use a 3D print preparation program to ensure print quality
- Submit your .stl file with our submission form
- If it is over 4MB please bring your file to EMS at Nicholson Library.
- If you would like to estimate the weight of your final print, you can load your file into Cura
- You will receive an e-mail with a cost and timeframe estimate for the print, requesting approval if needed
- Pick up your print after receiving an email letting you know it is done
Tips, Tool & Tricks for 3D printing - Oregon State Univeristy has a great page with tips & tricks
Printable area: 280 mm x 280 mm x 250 mm (11.02 in x 11.02 in x 9.8 in) L x W x H. This is the maximum size of a print.
All prints will be printed at a resolution of .25 mm unless otherwise specified, The higher the resolution the longer the print time.
All prints will be printed at 20% infill unless otherwise specified.
Single color printing.
Contact Educational Media Services at email@example.com with further questions.