Linfield Email Is Moving To Office 365!
ITS has just begun a project to move all active Linfield email accounts from our onsite email server to Office 365. Some exciting benefits of moving to Office 365 email are:
- Mailbox sizes will increase from 2 gig to 50 gig
- Improved Webmail experience (including the ability to add attachments to emails)
- A new spam filter
- Larger attachments accepted in emails
- Additional features and security updates are added as they are released by Microsoft
When Will Your Email Account Be Moved?
Administrators, Faculty, and Staff have now been migrated.
Students will begin to be migrated on December 2, 2019 alphabetically by last name. The tentative schedule (subject to change) is as follows:
- A: December 2, 2019
- B: December 3, 2019
- C: December 4, 2019
- D: December 5, 2019
- E and F: December 16, 2019
- G: December 17, 2019
- H: December 18, 2019
- I and J: December 19, 2019
- K: January 6, 2020
- L: January 7, 2020
- M: January 8, 2020
- N and O: January 9, 2020
- P and Q: January 13, 2020
- R: January 14, 2020
- S: January 15, 2020
- T: January 16, 2020
- U and V: January 20, 2020
- W: January 21, 2020
- X, Y, and Z: January 22, 2020
Retirees will be migrated on January 23, 2020.
What Can You Expect During and After the Migration?
During the Migration:
Your email will be copied from your existing email account to your new account in Office 365. The migration will happen overnight for most users. You can continue to use your email during the migration, although you may receive error messages.
After the Migration:
You will be notified when the migration is complete, and can do the following to reconnect to your email:
- Outlook users (PC or Mac): Close and re-open Outlook. You will have to use your Linfield email address and provide your Catnet password.
- Webmail users: Go to outlook.office.com and log in with your Linfield email address and Catnet password. Webmail has a brand new look!
- Smartphone/mobile device users: Remove and re-add your email account to your device using your Linfield email address and Catnet password. Using the Outlook app instead of your phone's mail app seems to work better.
If you created Archived email files (PST) in Outlook on your PC, they can be imported into your new email account or you can continue to add the archive when needed. If you have copied (or moved) emails from your mailbox in Outlook on your Mac to the On My Computer section of Outlook, these will not be affected.
Are Public Folders Going Away?
Public Folders are going away. They will be replaced with other Office 365 options, like SharePoint Sites or shared mailboxes. We will migrate Public folders after the department's email accounts have been migrated.
About the Office 365 Platform
If you are not currently an Office 365 user, you should know that there are several other products available for you to use.
- Office Pro: You can download and install the Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote) on up to 5 devices or use the applications online.
- OneDrive for Business: Each person receives 1TB of file storage space.
- SharePoint: Allows you to collaborate across departments and with people outside of Linfield.