Creating Secure Passwords
Passwords should not be shared with anyone!
Be careful where you record and store a password.
Never provide your password or send via email (not even to ITS!).
Linfield Catnet Passwords MUST meet these requirements:
- Minimum length: 8 characters
- Maximum length: 24 characters
- At least one uppercase letter
- At least one lower case letter
- At least one number
- You can use non-alphanumeric characters (not required) except for the following: ; \ ? : @ & = < >
Suggestions for creating a strong password
- Use a mix of numbers, special characters, upper and lower case letters (not including these: ; \ ? : @ & = < >)
- Incorporate non-alphabetic characters in common words, e.g., “kitch3n”
- Substitute numbers for words, syllables, and letters in common words (e.g, “Ireze2cU” instead of “It's really easy to see you”)
- Use the first letters of a phrase, movie, book or song title, substituting numbers for letters. (e.g. “22igafwniKa” instead of “Toto, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore”)
Do Not Use
- Social Security Number
- User ID Name
- Street Address
- Phone Number
- Birth Date
- Family Names
- Identifiable words or numbers that can be tied to your identity
- Recycled version of another password
- Common words that can be found in any dictionary
To change your password before it expires:
- Login to WebAdvisor (webadvisor.linfield.edu) with your current password
- Click on Change Password (lower right menu)
- Enter your user ID, your old password, a new password and a password hint
- Click Submit
To change your password after it expires or if you have forgotten your password:
- Access WebAdvisor (webadvisor.linfield.edu)
- Click on What’s My Password (lower right menu)
- Select Reset my password
- Enter your last name and your Colleague ID number (this is your staff ID number)
- WebAdvisor will return a list of email addresses, including a non-Linfield email address.
- Choose the non-Linfield email and click Submit
- An email with your temporary password will be sent to the email address you selected. Check your email to retrieve your temporary password.
- Login to WebAdvisor with your temporary password. You will be prompted to change your password immediately.