Semester Abroad in Ecuador
Almost every person living in the Galapagos Islands is aware of their fragile environment in which they live in and they respect nature and other living organisms. Living in the Galapagos Islands for 3 months was truly a blessing, and an amazing opportunity. I cannot wait to return.
Joey Gale ‘14
Students can chose to study at:
- University of San Francisco de Quito (USFQ) a full Spanish emersion program located in Quito, the capital of Ecuador.
- Galapagos Academic Institute of the Arts and Sciences (GAIAS) an English program located on the Galapagos Islands.
- Fall semester (late Aug to mid-Dec) or spring semester (early Jan through mid-May)
- Students majoring in Spanish may study a full academic year at USFQ
B average in Spanish language and Sophomore or higher standing.
- Minimum 2 years of college Spanish
- B average in Spanish language classes
- Minimum 1 year of Spanish
- One course each of biology and ecology required for the "Evolution, Ecology, & Conservation" track and "Marine Ecology" track
- Participants in both programs must attend a mandatory orientation organized by Linfield during a designated weekend in March. See the time line.
- Students live with host families in both programs.
- USFQ Academics
- Students take regular university classes taught in Spanish with Ecuadorian and other international students.
- Small class sizes, similar to Linfield.
- GAIAS Academics
- Students begin at the USFQ campus one month before going to the GAIAS campus.
- Tracks of study include: Human Ecology and Marine Communities, Evolutionary Biology, Native and Introduced Plants, Population Ecology and Marine Life. Each track normally includes 5 intensive courses, taught in English in three-week modules.