Jan Term Study Abroad Information
Jan Term in India
Each year, Linfield College offers 10-12 faculty-led off campus courses to locations all over world and destinations within the U.S.
January Term 2020 Off-Campus Courses
ECON 398 Economics of Association Football in England
ENGL/BIOL 398 Literary Biology of the Sea of Cortez, Mexico
GLFR 298 Discovering Martinique's Creoleness
JAMS 398 Media in the European Union: After Brexit
MATH/PHYS 298 Stars Down Under: Astronomy and Mathematics in Australia
NURS 398 Economic and Healthcare Impacts of Brexit in England, Scotland, and Ireland
NURS 398 Health Care in China
PHIL 398 Moral and Civic Literacy and the Cultivation of Sustainable Happiness
WINE 298 Topics in Wine: Southern Oregon and the Spanish Wine Connection
- Applicants must be in good academic and social standing, with a minimum GPA of 2.75 at the time of application.
- Applicants must have completed at least one semester at Linfield.
- Approximately 12 qualified students are chosen for each site through a competitive selection process: the application, a personal interview with the faculty and other selection criteria deemed appropriate for particular courses.
- Each is a 4-credit course, planned and led by Linfield faculty.
- Jan Term off-campus courses bear the same rigorous standards and expectations as all other Linfield courses.
- Each syllabus will outline course requirements, expectations, prerequisites and will specify which particular graduation requirements (such as Linfield Curriculum designation, major or minor credits) will be satisfied.
- The courses are thematic and interdisciplinary in nature and are available to McMinnville and Portland students, regardless of their discipline or major, provided they meet the minimum requirements.
- Each course is subject to revision if there are compelling factors not within Linfield’s control.
- Courses listed are always subject to approval via the college’s budget process.
While Linfield pays for the round trip airfare of the tuition-paying student’s first experience abroad, participants are responsible for:
- A $500 deposit is due once accepted. This deposit will be credited to your account when the Jan Term costs are billed during the first week of December.
- A program fee* that covers most on-site logistical expenses and mandatory insurance.
- The prevailing College January Term per-credit fee
- Passport, visa and luggage fees
- Any required vaccinations
- Other costs not specifically covered in the program fee-participants will be informed of what additional funds will be needed.
- All items associated with each course are subject to revision if there are compelling factors not within Linfield's discretion.
**Students: Before you begin the application process, we recommend that you share course information and the associated costs with your parents. See the link above for costs not included in the program fee.
Student Resources for Jan Term
- Jan Term Student Handbook
- January Term Application and costs not included in the Program Fee
- Video - student video from Literary Biology of the Sea of Cortez
- Video - Professor and students in Vietnam for Jan Term
- Blog - Experience an example of opportunities available on a Jan Term abroad course