Jan Term Study Abroad Information
Jan Term in India
Each year, Linfield College offers 10-12 faculty-led off campus courses to locations all over world and destinations within the U.S.
January Term 2019 Off-Campus Courses
ARTS/MUSC 398 Cultural Palimpsests: Architecture, Artists and Musicians in Italy and Austria through the Ages
ECON 398 Island Economics: Resource and Development Economics in Tahiti
ENVS/WINE 398 Adapting to Climate Change: People, Culture and Wine in Chile and Argentina
GLSP 398 Re-Imaging Visual Arts, Music, and Culture in Puerto Rico
GLSP/HIST 398 Cityscapes, Cultural and Historical Encounters: Andalusian Spain and Morocco
NURS 398 Healthcare in Peru
NURS 398 Health Care in New Zealand
THTR/ARTS 398 Theatre and Visual Arts in Great Britain
EDUC 398 Multicultural Experiences in Education: Culture and Education in Puerto Rico
- Applicants must be in good academic and social standing, with a minimum GPA of 2.75 at the time of application.
- Applicants must have completed at least one semester at Linfield.
- Approximately 12 qualified students are chosen for each site through a competitive selection process: the application, a personal interview with the faculty and other selection criteria deemed appropriate for particular courses.
- Each is a 4-credit course, planned and led by Linfield faculty.
- Jan Term off-campus courses bear the same rigorous standards and expectations as all other Linfield courses.
- Each syllabus will outline course requirements, expectations, prerequisites and will specify which particular graduation requirements (such as Linfield Curriculum designation, major or minor credits) will be satisfied.
- The courses are thematic and interdisciplinary in nature and are available to McMinnville and Portland students, regardless of their discipline or major, provided they meet the minimum requirements.
- Each course is subject to revision if there are compelling factors not within Linfield’s control.
- Courses listed are always subject to approval via the college’s budget process.
While Linfield pays for the round trip airfare of the tuition-paying student’s first experience abroad, participants are responsible for:
- A $500 deposit is due once accepted. This deposit will be credited to your account when the Jan Term costs are billed during the first week of December.
- A program fee* that covers most on-site logistical expenses and mandatory insurance.
- The prevailing College January Term per-credit fee
- Passport, visa and luggage fees
- Any required vaccinations
- Other costs not specifically covered in the program fee-participants will be informed of what additional funds will be needed.
- All items associated with each course are subject to revision if there are compelling factors not within Linfield's discretion.
**Students: Before you begin the application process, we recommend that you share course information and the associated costs with your parents. See the link above for costs not included in the program fee.
Student Resources for Jan Term
- Jan Term Student Handbook
- January Term Application and costs not included in the Program Fee
- Video - student video from Literary Biology of the Sea of Cortez
- Video - Professor and students in Vietnam for Jan Term
- Blog - Experience an example of opportunities available on a Jan Term abroad course