English Language and Culture Program
Linfield College offers an intensive preparation program in academic and social English.
- Study at Linfield College for one semester, one year, or enter a degree-seeking program
- Begin your undergraduate course work without reapplying to Linfield College
- Take ELCP courses and selected courses in degree programs (if qualified)
- Submit scores from a choice of tests (see test score entry requirements)
- Count up to 29 ELCP elective credits towards graduation ELCP Courses
- Study regularly with American conversation partners and peer writing assistants
- Participate in field trips and excursions to cultural sites in Oregon.
For more information, contact the English Language and Culture Program Department Chair Wendy Sagers.
ELCP Mission and Goals
Enable international students to fully participate and achieve success in an American cultural and college experience using English effectively in academic classes, on campus, and in the broader community.
ELCP Program Goals
- Acquire oral language skills to function with confidence in formal and informal conversations in social and academic settings.
- Develop writing skills to prepare essays, reports, or analytical papers on academic topics using appropriate grammar and discourse patterns.
- Develop reading skills to understand factual and descriptive information in non-technical prose as well as various literary genres.
- Gain an understanding of the cultures of the United States and demonstrate the ability to function interactively with the target cultures.
- Share own unique cultural perspectives, languages, and worldviews through coursework and experiential activities.