Nights to Remeber

I officially moved into my term accommodation (housing) on September 15th, and every night since then has been filled with memories.

I have made new friends from all around the UK and some even around the world! Before Freshers and Induction Week started, a group of us from my hall decided to explore the Nottingham City Centre together. We had a blast hanging out and getting to know each other, even though we did get lost a few times because none of us are good with directions. After we explored the city centre, we noticed there was a mini golf course a tram stop right before ours. We decided to get off early and check it out. Turns out, we all suck at it but had fun doing it. Since then I have spent every night hanging out with people.

The Alchemist, a restaurant and cocktail bar. Gothic architecture with exposed brick.
The Alchemist, a restaurant and cocktail bar. The Alchemist brings the mythical and mysterious aspects of Nottingham to life through its creative cocktails and its darkly delicious dining.

These nights have been filled with exciting adventures exploring the city we are surrounded by. The first night of Freshers, they did a themed club night at Rock City, a popular club in the city centre. The theme that night was beach, and luckily as an Oregonian, I am always prepared for a beached themed event. I went with a couple of friends and we had a blast listening and dancing to music and just hanging out. 

After a fun time dancing, my friends and I caught a bus home. (Left to right: David, Jasmine, Tanner, Rory)

Throughout that week there were various welcome fairs happening, and we went to each and every one of them. Following those fairs, there were events like movie nights and bingo hosted by the ResX team and the Student Union. These events lasted for two weeks, but the fun didn’t stop there.

Video of the Trent Building courtyard. The Trent Building is an academic building primarily used for the arts and social sciences.

Just last weekend a group of us who went mini golfing before and some other friends, went to an 18+ indoor mini golf course! We had a blast sipping on cocktails and beating each other on different holes. My personal favorite was the Mechanic themed hole where you had to get your golf ball through three consecutive loop-a-loops. By the end of the night, we were all laughing as we tried to fit all of us onto a throne made of golf clubs.

A night of mini golfing comes to end with 4 friends piling up on a golden throne made of golf clubs. (Left to right: Rory, Charlie, Tanner, Yoshi)

I can’t say I haven’t had a fun and exciting experience so far, and definitely can’t say it will stop. A couple of us are going to a drag show during reading week, a group of us are planning a road trip to Brighton, and finally we are planning on weekly movie nights watching classic titles (Like the Pitch Perfect trilogy). 

– Tanner Coulter