ROAD TRIP (FIRST HALF)

Hi everyone!

So today I’m going to talk about my trip to Hiroshima! Let’s start by saying I am not a morning person. By far my least favorite thing to do is to get less than 10 hours of sleep (I happen to do that every night), and for this trip I woke up at 6:20 a.m. and had to make it to my friend’s house where she would be first driver (I got 4). 

Japanese highways are super expensive, a two hour drive on the highways usually cost $60 round trip, and so the four of us budgeted to spend about $100 on highways each (keep that in mind if you ever decide to roadtrip). 

Some fun facts for the trip down!

– We almost ran out of gas twice which shouldn’t be possible but we are really good at going above and beyond so…

– We coasted 1.5 kilometers to the gas station on basically no gas.

– We had several dance parties and listened to some really good Japanese music — both Okinawan and main island Japanese music.

– One artist that’s really famous got arrested for meth possession on Valentine’s Day. 

– I like to hold my breath when I go through tunnels which is fun until Japanese tunnels are 250-3000 meters long which is a wild ride on my body. 

– Tunnels are long bc most go through the mountains

– In the morning Emi lost her contacts and found them underneath her the whole time. 

– Our hostel was super cute. We stayed in the mixed dorm which was cheaper than the all-female dorm. There was a boy who was four years old, the son of the people who owned the hostel, and his name was Haru-kun. He was very cute and showed us his legos. He also called me 変なおねちん and then when I said that was mean Emi asked him to apologize to which he said “even if I apologize she’d still be sad” lolll

– They had a very cute dog named オット (Otto) 

Two girls in front of the pillars of peace at Hiroshima.
Emi and Marina in front of the pillars of peace. The word peace is written in every language.

Hiroshima information:

• Hiroshima was very emotional. There’s a way to balance the information they deliver in the museum. You first see the last standing building from the blast. Then you have the ability to see the place where they’ve memorialized the victims. There’s one specifically for the children that died. 
  • In the 40s, children after the age of 12 were enlisted to work for the military while at school. The children that died were working to move materials at a demolition site. The museum there is very sad, it’s hard to not cry as they provide you with first hand accounts and some very detailed, unedited footage and photos of people before and after the blast. It also serves as a way for people to understand that we need to live without nuclear weapons and promotes activism towards building a world like that.
  •  I thought it was interesting how many people brought up in class or at the memorial that Obama came to visit Hiroshima. There was a general feeling of positive reception with him coming, and I think it was criticized because he was the only foreign dignitary to visit Hiroshima. As a whole it was a very good experience, and after we got 広島焼 (Hiroshima-yaki), which is similar to okinomiyaki but is made with soba noodles. It was very, very good and thoroughly recommend it.

Two photos of two groups of girls, including the author, lying on the floor and smiling up at the camera.
    In honor of what I just said, here’s a picture of some of the people I love the most taken freshman and junior year.

If you get this far, tell someone you love them. If there’s anything this trip taught me, it’s that you don’t want to waste your time. If you care, talk about it. If you love, tell them. And if you want something to change do something. There is so much ego involved in our lives that prevents us from seeing people as equals; people worth living. And if we could all think a little more critically when thinking about how WE think, the world would be an infinitely better place.

See you next time for part 2 babes,

“Always have courage and be kind.”

— Cinderella the (better) live action movie

-Isis