I Want Moher!

The last few weeks we have been busy figuring out class schedules and activities. If I’m being honest, registration can be a bit of a mess, but as of today, I’m officially registered for all my modules. Yay! A few of us did manage to work in a reading session at Cafe Nero to combine fun with productivity and stay on top of our classes. They have a great atmosphere and the coffee is amazing!

Cafe study session
Cafe study session

What was even more fun though was visiting the Cliffs of Moher. There was plenty of wind, mud, and fog, but if you ask me, that just adds to the Ireland aesthetic. It also meant there weren’t that many tourists, so we could explore the cliffs at our leisure.

The Cliffs of Moher, County Clare, Ireland

The trails make it easy to get a closer look at the cliffs and wildlife. There are some beautiful viewing points where it feels like being at the edge of the world! Seagulls perched on the rock face and would float up to say hello. One flew right up to Kristen, but sadly, this humble blogger wasn’t able to capture the moment on camera. 

Kristen Burke saying hi at the Cliffs of Moher
Kristen Burke on the edge of the Cliffs of Moher

Aside from our big adventure to the cliffs, we’ve also taken mini adventures across Galway. We visited the Galway City Museum and it was really interesting to learn about the city. Despite being a young independent nation, Ireland has a long, rich history. After all, NUIG opened its doors before Oregon was a state!

We’ve continued to check off the many, many places to go in the city by trying out an assortment of restaurants and shops. We even went to the Saturday market where I purchased two bags of produce for €4.50! Mind blown.

Griffin's Bakery, Shop Street, Galway
Griffin’s Bakery, Shop Street, Galway

Night life is also a big part of the culture in Galway. Luckily, there are loads of pubs to choose from, and many have live music and dancing. We stayed at one pub for over two hours because the band was so good! It’s a great place to strike up a conversation, but even taking a nighttime walk down Shop Street can be memorable.

A night on Shop Street
A night on Shop Street

The next few weeks are bound to include more traveling adventures, but since Club and Society day were just this week, we also have many new social activities on the horizon. Just today, I auditioned for the drama department’s one act series, so wish me luck on the results! Lexi Kerr is getting involved with the soccer team, and everyone is looking to try something new. I have no doubt that as the semester continues, our little Linfield crowd will continue to branch out into new spheres. Stay tuned!

Jordan Keller