Episode 8: Innsbruck x2

Boy oh boy have I been many places in Europe!  However in Austria, one of my favorite places I’ve been is Innsbruck. Innsbruck is the capital of Tirol, a Bundesland here in Austria. It’s surrounded by the Alps and has a river running right through it. The very first time I ventured there was by myself and oh my did I fall in love. However I didn’t do as much as I did the second time, I still knew it was a place I wanted to visit more than once. The train ride there is something out of a fairy tale taking you through the alps. Everyone I met was so kind and welcoming and it’s so very easy to go around.

Mariahilfestrasse in Innsbruck during my first trip there!
Train ride there!
Train ride there!

Now the second time is when I realized I loved it even more (not more than Dorfgastein of course). I took a day trip again however this time I was with Tommy and Ana. And the Christmas markets had just opened!! When we first arrived we walked around the market. Missing home a little bit, we decided to eat at Hard Rock Cafe. After that we decided to become full tourists and purchase the Innsbruck card. This is something you can get for either 24 hour or 48 hours and it lets you go to all the tourist attractions in Innsbruck for free, as well as giving you free transportation. With it we decided to do something I’d never thought I’d do. We went to the tip top of the mountain range in the area known as Nordkette. I believe the name of it is called Hafelekarspitze and even though it was quite cold, it was absolutely beautiful and breath taking, both literally and figuratively.

Ana and Tommy waiting for the cable car with their Innsbruck Cards!

With the cable car going up, we first stopped at the little village area where a lot of skiers will stay and looked at the Christmas market there.

Ana in the cablecar!
Ana in the cablecar!
Ana, Thomas and I at the second point on the mountain!

We then made our way up to the next highest point. Here there was a small restaurant and even more beautiful views.

Views from the very top of the mountain.
Tommy at the very top of the mountain!
Tommy at the very top of the mountain!

After this we decided to go to the very top. When we got there with the cable car, we hiked or I guess walked up the rest of the mountain, it was only like 10 minutes up. At the very top of the highest mountains in mountain ranges they place crosses. Here we saw one of those crosses. Overall, I can say that it was extremely beautiful. You could see the whole mountain range and all of Innsbruck and it’s neighboring towns.

The cross at the top of the mountain!
The cross at the top of the mountain!

Eventually we made our way down and decided to walk around the Christmas markets which were always wonderful. Around 7pm we made our way back to Vienna knowing that Innsbruck would be a place to go back to in the future.

Ana and I at the second highest point!
Ana and I at the second highest point!
Austrian flag marking that this part of the Alps is still in Austria!
At the very top of the mountain again!
At the very top of the mountain again!

Melissa