Cape Town ep. 2

Checking back in from CT! I know it’s been a month since I last published, but I promise I’ll have at least 3 more updates for you as I finish and reflect when I get back to the States. Ok, here’s today’s post:

People always told me going abroad time would absolutely fly. I would nod and agree but internally think, “3 months is still a while, so I don’t think so…”

Two months in, I can attest to everyone who told me this being absolutely right. I checked a calendar today and all I could think was, “How is it possible that I leave in less than two weeks?” It seems like I blinked and all of a sudden I’m here.

Here, literally meaning: sitting at my desk at our off-site location about to prep a photo shoot for our upcoming event, which is definitely one of the coolest parts of my internship. #ChewBox2018 will see us  collecting donations and items for dogs and cats currently awaiting adoption. The brewery will also be doing adoptions one Sunday so I’m going to have to exercise some intense self-control in order not to head back with a new pup. (Only partially joking as I really want a new dog.)

Here, figuratively meaning: mentally prepping myself for another round of goodbyes tonight as another of my intern friends heads back home. Being abroad for such a short time, I didn’t think I’d grow so attached to people but there have definitely been waterworks. Currently trying not to be nostalgic when I haven’t even left but in having to say goodbye over and over, it’s hard not to. This is one experience that’s unique to IE3 and internships abroad, as if I had gone to a site with Linfield students, we’d head back at the same time to Mac. That being said, I wouldn’t trade this. I now have friends from all over the states (and some spots in Europe) and we’re already planning our first intern reunion next year.

Those aside, this past month has been absolutely packed. Here’s a photo look at what we’ve been up to:

A hiking picture from this past weekend. We hiked and camped in a spot with zero signal, which was wonderful. This is Riley on a rock formation we encountered on the hike.
sunset at this spot -- Signal Hill
One of the most epic sights I’ve seen here was a sunset at this spot — Signal Hill. We took so many photos here, this is one of my favorites.
celebrating Halloween at a local bar
The gals and I (and our bartending friend) celebrating Halloween at a local bar. We live in Observatory which is known for being a student and international-filled neighborhood.
wine tasting at Asara.
Colleen, my flatmate, and I hanging (haha) during a wine tasting at Asara. So delicious (and so cheap in dollars–$6 for 5 wines what!)
soy latte at Truth Coffee
One of the must-see spots in CT is Truth Coffee. The decor, architecture, everything is great. This is a soy latte and it is supposedly a horse done in foam, although I still can’t see it.
a gatsby. FIlled with fries and a bunch of other things; this one is vegan
One of the dishes South Africa is known for: a gatsby. FIlled with fries and a bunch of other things; this one is vegan! CT’s vegan scene is so great.
a picture I took behind-the scenes of Cass (one of the directors).
One of the challenges at the Protege bartending program was a photo contest. This is a picture I took behind-the scenes of Cass (one of the directors).
Hiking through mountains in Cederburg
Another picture from the hike. 4 hours through mountains in Cederburg were definitely challenging. High 90s and steep inclines, but we still made it!

Oh and I had a separate mini adventure this month too when my dad bought me a  ticket to see family that lives in France as an early grad gift.  Here is a picture of me at the Louvre Museum in Paris (saw the Mona Lisa in person albeit from a distance!).

Outside the Louvre during my France trip.
Outside the Louvre during my France trip. Saw 5 cities in 8 days and got to practice my very very basic French.

That’s all for now, check back for another post sometime next week about getting ready to head back to the states.

-Camila

PS. if you’re a foodie and want to see more pictures of Cape Town eats, find me on Instagram @macamarri and check out my Eats highlight.