Cape Town ep. 1

It’s hard to believe that I have been in Cape Town for a month, whaaaat? Time has passed faster than I thought possible and I have had plenty of experiences, both positive and challenging.

To be honest, the start of my experience was rough. I got on the plane feeling a bit congested (not the ideal way to start 22 hours of flying time) and when I landed in Johannesburg, one of my bags was missing. Later when I got settled in my flat, the power went out so my first night I showered in the dark and after my phone had died, laid in bed wondering what I’d gotten myself into.  To cap it off, my second day I felt the beginnings of a cold and spent the next 3 weeks sick with that virus and who knows how many others. I seem to have caught a break now after a bout of the flu and am expecting to return to the US with an incredibly fortified immune system. Besides being sick, there were the obvious adjustments I had to make, like handling a different $ system, new schedule, as well as adapting to co-habitating with 9 other people.

That being said, I have loved being here more than I thought possible. I have gotten to try great food, connected with people from all over, immersed myself in a new industry, and have seen incredible views. I had no idea South Africa was this beautiful and I’m loving every bit of what I have seen.  Here are some memorable snippets from the past month:

One of the events I attend is sometimes held at the EBS school in Cape Town, pictures here is one of their displays.
This is what my workstation at my internship site looks like. Once a week my supervisor runs the bar so we set up there.
Here I am (far left) with 4 of my flatmates and 2 friends. We all intern at different places at that's one of the cool parts of living together!
Here I am (far left) with 4 of my flatmates and 2 friends. We all intern at different places at that’s one of the cool parts of living together!
View from the Haut Bay Beach which is a stretch located on a mountain, super cool.
Live band we got to see at the Haut Bay market
Another Kalk Bay mountaintop view
Kalk Bay mountaintop view
One of the views from the top of the Kalk Bay mountains; the hike up was 1 hour of steep hills but totally worth it
Another view from the top of the Kalk Bay mountains; the hike up was 1 hour of steep hills but totally worth it
Can't resist including one of my meals, this spot is Cape Town's best vegan fast food
Can’t resist including one of my meals, this spot is Cape Town’s best vegan fast food
View from a rooftop event we attended
View from a rooftop event we attended

All in all, it’s been a memorable month and I am excited to see what’s next.  I’ll soon be assisting at our Oktoberfest event and starting planning for a street festival. See you in a few weeks!

-Camila