Episode 4: A Typical Week of School

Although it may seem like it, its not all travel here in Vienna. During most of our time we are either studying or in class just like the rest of Linfield! My typical week of school consists of 4 classes Monday through Thursday and no matter what track you are  on, English or German, you’ll have a steady course load throughout the semester. Although the English and German track only have one class together, we both start our weeks on Monday. My Monday starts around 9am (which is a perfect time! (; ) with an Ethnic Diversity class. This class is pretty interesting because we get to go to different debates and discussions over current political issues in Vienna. After Ethnic Diversity I would typically have a german class, however I recently took my entrance exam to start German classes at the University of Wien. That means on October 11th I will have my first class at the University! It also means that on Mondays I am done with class at 11am and have the rest of the day to study and explore Wien!

On Tuesdays everyone has German at the University and then in the afternoon, both tracks have an Austrian Politics class together. This class is very interesting because it mostly covers Austria and its political actions from 1914 to present day. Giving us a lot of history to learn. After class I typically head home to do some homework and then maybe explore Vienna at night. Wednesdays on the other hand are by far my longest days. Now that my German classes are at the University on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I only have two classes Wednesday; my Ethnic Diversity class at 9am and my Austrian Cultural History Class, which ends at 5pm.  I know its  a bit long but I do have breaks in between! This history class, although very hard, is very interesting. This is because every Thursday we go on a tour of something new and historical in Vienna. In the beginning we went to a Roman museum were the left over architecture of Vindobona lies. Vindobona was an old Roman military camp located in central Vienna. What blew my mind was that underneath a city the size of Vienna (414.6 km²) lies the remains of architecture from Roman times which, lets just say, was a very very long time ago.

Michaela, Ana and Thomas during the Roman Museum tour.
The group during the Roman Museum Tour!
The group during the Roman Museum Tour!

After our tours, we have our Austrian Politics class again. This ends around 4:30pm in which I’ll typically head home for some dinner. Now Fridays are the one of the best days for any student because… 

We have the day off!!

Typically we’ll spend this extra day by beginning our explorations of Europe early, sometimes however, we have school events and community services planned. Recently, on the 28th of September, we had an amazing community service opportunity. We ventured to a near-by village and help clean up and ready a Volksschule (or an elementary school) for their open house. We helped them set up chairs and clean windows and because school has already started we were able to meet some wonderful kiddos! We also met the Mayor of the town… no big deal or anything. (: This experience was a heartwarming one and seeing everything come together was amazing. The people we worked with were wonderful and I would absolutely go back and do it all again.

Ana getting ready to clean some windows!
Verena and Michaela hard at work!
Verena and Michaela hard at work!
The whole group plus members of the crew we worked with during community service!

Studying abroad in Europe isn’t only about the adventures you are able to take, its also about the things you learn while you take them. I have had so many opportunities to see things in Vienna that I never thought I would see – all because of my history class. And I never would have been able to meet a such community so grateful for seven people to come help them with their school if it wasn’t for the Institute. Everything that I have done ties into this school, and it is an amazing opportunity that everyone should take.

Stay tuned to hear about our school trip to Prague!

Tschüss!

Melissa Rockow