French and Francophone African Studies Major and Minor
For a major in French Studies
40 credits in language courses numbered 202 and above, including:
- GLCS 380
- GLFR 485
- GLCS 483 or GLCS 490
- One course in Francophone African Studies
- Study Abroad: Majors and minors in French Studies study in France (Angers, Aix).The third year abroad normally yields at least 20 of the 40 required. The semester abroad yields at least 15 of the 40 credits required.
For a minor in French Studies:
- For a minor in French Studies: 20 credits in courses numbered 202 and above. Up to twelve credits may be available during the semester abroad, depending on program offerings.
Francophone African Studies
For a major in Francophone African Studies
40 credits in courses numbered 202 and above, including:
- GLFA 230 and 240;
- GLFR 301 and 302;
- GLCS 380;
- GLCS 483 or GLCS 490 (Honor Thesis – by departmental invitation only);
- GLFA 486; and 2 additional courses taught in English by other departments on campus (see below) or at Gaston Berger in Senegal. Courses with a significant content related to Africa or people of African descent include: ARTS 210; ANTH 111; ENGL 305, 365; HIST 123, 125, 318; MUSC 080, 253; SOAN 265; courses with the same theoretical framework as African Studies (Postcolonial Studies, Gender Studies, Postmodern Studies, etc.) or that can be used as background to understand African realities include: EDUC 302; PHIL 430 (if topic pertains to African Studies); POLS 210, 370 (if topic pertains to African Studies), 384; RELS 140, 310. While two semesters of study spent in Senegal, yielding at least 16 of the 40 required credits, are recommended, candidates for the major may need to study only one semester in Senegal. The required length of stay depends upon their French language proficiency and placement which will be determined by the French faculty when entering Linfield.
For a minor in Francophone African Studies
23 credits, including:
- GLFR 202 and 301
- GLFA 230 or 240
- One course from another Linfield department from among those listed above for the major; and 9 credits taken abroad.
Study abroad: Majors and minors in French Studies study in France (Angers, Aix, or Marseille). Majors and minors in Francophone African Studies study in Senegal (Dakar and St. Louis).