The French Club is very active at Linfield and offers many opportunities to enjoy the French culture in a fun way. The club is open to anyone interested in French and Francophone cultures. No need to know French to enjoy it.
Here are some of the events organized by the French Club in the last few years :
- French movie nights once to twice a month
- International Film Festival in Portland
- Crêpes (French pancakes) cooking and tasting
- Pétanque (French steel ball game)
- French week
- Celebration of culture: French songs and poetry
- Taste of France: 'Bistro Maison' in McMinnville
- Carnaval: a masquerade to scare winter away...
- Visit of the WillaKenzie winery in Yamhill in French
The French Club has also taken part in events organized by or with other organizations :
- International Culture Show now held during Diversity Week (in October)
- Saint Nicolas (Saint Nicholas Day celebration) with the German club
- Candlelight Christmas celebration
Held on Tuesdays at noon in Dillin, the French table is the perfect opportunity to practice your French, talk about news from France and the francophone world with the assistant, professors and other students in a relaxed atmosphere! Everybody is welcome, regardless of their level.
Société honorifique de français Pi Delta Phi
Xi Iota is the Linfield chapter of Pi Delta Phi, the French honor society for undergraduate and graduate students at accredited public and private colleges and universities in the United States. It was inaugurated in 2009. The organization offers a few grant opportunities for high-achieving American students willing to study in France and who are members of the honor society.
On May 19th, 2010, nine members were inducted into the society.