Linfield Scenic
Linfield Home » Arts & Sciences » Financial Aid » Frequently Asked Questions
Financial Aid

Common Questions by New Students

What is the deadline for returning my award acceptance letter?

There is no specific deadline for returning the letter. However, in order to have an accurate fall statement of account prepared for you we recommend it be returned before the end of June.

What is the process for applying for the Federal Direct Stafford loan?

After filing your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and applying for admission to Linfield, you will be sent an award packet.  Included in your award packet is a Certification and Award Acceptance Letter notifying you of the amount of Federal Direct Stafford loan you are awarded.  If you would like to borrow a Federal Direct Stafford loan, you will indicate acceptance of the loan and return the letter to the Office of Financial Aid, after you have paid your matriculation fee to the Admissions Office. If you are a first time borrower, you will also be required to complete the Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling. If you would like to get a head start on the process you can log into, your federal PIN is required to electronically sign the Master Promissory Note.

How do parents apply for a Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan?

Application for the Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan requires that you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and then it is a two-step process. First, have your parent complete and return to our office the Parent PLUS Loan Request Form for the credit check to be performed. Second, upon credit approval your parent will be directed to complete the required Master Promissory Note, which your parent may electronically sign at with their federal PIN. Upon a credit decline, our office will contact your parent for their options.  We will process the loan request once you have paid your matriculation fee.

When will I receive my fall statement of account?

Your statement of account will be printed and mailed to you by the Student Account/Cashier Office within the first week of July. It will provide a complete listing of your tuition, room and board and any required fees minus awarded financial aid. Full payment or arrangement to make payment is required by August.

Will I be able to purchase books with my financial aid?

If there will be a credit balance on your student account after financial aid is posted, you may request a bookstore voucher from the Student Account/Cashier Office in Melrose Hall 105, Tel: 503.883.2241, to purchase books at the Bookstore.  Alternately, you may inquire about Linfield's short-term loan process in the Office of Financial Aid.

What if my Federal Pell Grant disbursement presumably would create a credit balance on my Student Account, how would I be able to purchase books and supplies?

If there will be a credit balance on your Student Account, as a result of your Federal Pell Grant disbursement, presuming the funds were disbursed, you have the option to request a bookstore voucher from the Student Accounts/Cashier Office to purchase your books and supplies from the bookstore.  Alternately, another option is to request a Short Term Loan from the Office of Financial Aid in order to purchase your books and supplies.

What is required to have my Linfield scholarship renewed?

You must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress to have your Linfield scholarship renewed.  For full-time students you must complete at least 12 credits each semester with at least a 2.00 GPA.  The Office of Financial Aid will review your Satisfactory Academic Progress annually after spring semester to ensure that you have completed 24 credits during the academic year and you have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00.

How do I make sure I am awarded my financial aid each year?

The Office of Financial Aid will send information in December to your campus email with instructions on what, where and how to complete the process. Renewal may include completion of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and your Linfield Application for Financial Aid (LAFA) within Webadvisor.  Any additional documentation required will be requested via a letter or email to the student.

What is the matriculation fee and does it go towards my tuition?

This $400 fee secures your enrollment at Linfield College. This fee does not go toward tuition.  To pay your matriculation fee, contact the Admissions Office at 800.640.2287.

Questions? Please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 503.883.2225 or email