Spanish Healthcare Interpreter Training
|Dates:||January 6, 2020 through March 20, 2020|
|Cost:||$1,200 - Books not included in the cost of this program|
Looking for more information? Contact our OCE office: 503-883-2447 ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
The Tuition Management System (TMS) payment plan allows you to spread out the cost over two months for a small fee of $35 per enrollment. Contact OCE Office for details.Payment Plan available!
Payment Plan enrollment:
- Step 1: Register here for Payment Plan
- Step 2: Payment Plan information and enrollment
Payment Plan enrollment how-to guide
- Roat, Cindy. Healthcare Interpreting in Small Bites. Bloomington, IN: Trafford, 2002. $34.95
- The University of Arizona National Center for Interpretation. Medical Interpretools: Volume I. Tucson, AZ: University of Arizona, 2014. $45.00
- Cross-Cultural Communications. Medical Terminology for Interpreters 4thEdition (2019). ISBN 9780982316610. $60.00
Order through LINFIELD Bookstore - type in the following information (make sure to select OCE - Online Continuing Education)
Train to be a healthcare interpreter!
- Start a flexible freelance career or obtain a staff hospital position in a high demand field.
- Help provide equal access to services for Spanish –speakers with limited English proficiency.
- Refine your skills and help your workplace comply with new language access laws under the Affordable Care Act.
- Affordable, fully online format allows you to study at a time that works for you.
Unique Spanish-specific training approved by the Oregon Health Authority suitable for beginning and experienced interpreters. 60 hours of content includes interpreting skills and knowledge, ethics, anatomy, physiology and medical terminology taught from a cross-cultural perspective. Includes extensive oral practice in Spanish and English with instructor feedback in preparation for national exams. Assistance with work experience placement available for students in the state of Oregon.
This non-credit program is not eligible for Title IV funding.
More about this course
- Meets 60 hour training requirements for healthcare interpreter certification or qualification by the Oregon Health Authority.
- Approved by the Oregon Judicial Department for 5 general and 5 Spanish-specific Continuing Education Units.
- Approved by the Washington Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) for 1 ethics and 5 general Continuing Education Credits.
- Approved by the American Translators Association (ATA) for 5 Continuing Education Points.
- Approved by the National Association for Health Professionals for CEU credits for those already certified through NAHP.
Este curso que acaba de pasar lo califico de excelente porque me aportó muchos conocimientos que son indispensables para ser un buen un intérprete y todo gracias a la profesora que supo diseñar el curso de una manera muy eficiente porque seleccionó los aspectos más importantes que debíamos aprender y fue muy profesional en todo momento. Yo disfruté el curso, aprendí mucho y por tanto lo voy a recomendar a mis amigos. Gracias profesora Heidi por una clase excelente.
María - Spanish Instructor at Washington State University Vancouver
Meet the Instructor
Heidi Astrid Schmaltz, M.A. Spanish Language and Literature, is an Oregon Certified Healthcare Interpreter, Certified Court Interpreter, and Washington DSHS Medical and Social Services Certified Interpreter. She has been a working interpreter since 2004. In addition, Ms. Schmaltz has nearly a decade of experience teaching Spanish at the undergraduate level.
- Students must have a minimum of a high school diploma or GED.
- Students must have advanced-level proficiency in English and Spanish.
Students without a degree completed mostly in Spanish from a Spanish-speaking country will need to pass an oral placement interview for Spanish. Students without a degree completed mostly in English from an English-speaking country will need to pass an oral placement interview for English.
No refunds will be issued once the course has begun.