Requirements for the Major
- A student must complete the following required courses from Linfield or in approved transfer:
ECON 210 Principles of Economics
BNAC 260 Financial Accounting
BNAC 261 Managerial Accounting
BNMG 310 Organizational Behavior and Management
BNMK 321 Marketing
BNSS 340 Business Law I
BNFN 341 Financial Management
BNSS 495 Strategic Management (MWI)
- To fulfill major requirements a student must complete the following upper division accounting courses and at least five of these courses must be completed at Linfield:
Upper Division Accounting Courses
BNAC 361 Intermediate Accounting I
BNAC 362 Intermediate Accounting II
As well as the following four courses:
BNAC 461 Cost Accounting
BNAC 466 Advanced Accounting
BNAC 468 Federal Income Tax
BNAC 469 Auditing
- For students preparing to sit for the CPA exam in their state, BNSS 440 Business Law II and BNAC 464 Government/Not for Profit Accounting, and all four courses of BNAC 461, 466, 468, and 469 are recommended to be taken during the undergraduate degree. All prerequisites must be met prior to registration in recommended courses.
In addition, the following policies apply to the Accounting major:
- Financial Management and all accounting coursework except BNAC 260 and 261 must be upper division.
- Contact your state board of accountancy for current information in your state:
Oregon Board of Accountancy
3218 Pringle Rd SE #110 503-378-4181
Salem OR 97302-6307 www.oregon.gov/BOA/
Washington Board of Accountancy
PO Box 9131 360-753-2586
Olympia WA 98507-9131 www.cpaboard.wa.gov
Find your state board of accountancy at the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants website (AICPA) http://www.aicpa.org/yellow/ypsboa.htm
Departmental Policy on Prerequisites
The Department presumes that students will have taken the applicable prerequisite(s) when registering for courses. However, some courses have the option of “permission of instructor.” Prerequisites will be waived only if the Department Chair deems that a student’s background or other extenuating circumstances render the applicable prerequisite(s) unnecessary. This approval must be obtained prior to registration for class.
Meeting Course Requirements By Transfer Credits
Required courses such as Marketing, Management, and Business Law can be satisfied by approved transfer courses. In instances where the content of a course is not clear from its title, you may be asked to provide additional information in the form of catalog description or syllabus.
Age Limit on Coursework
Please note that you may not meet upper division accounting requirements with courses taken more than eight years prior to your application to Linfield. If you plan to meet the Federal Income Tax course requirement by transfer, the course must have been taken no more than three years prior to your application to the program.