Skip to Page Content
Linfield College
Online and Continuing Education OCE Current Students

Use Your GI Bill® Benefits

Linfield College is an approved institution of higher learning by the Department of Veterans Affairs.  As a result, active duty, reserve, National Guard military personnel, veterans and spouses are able to apply their GI Bill® and other military education benefits towards any of Linfield’s degree or certificate programs.

Linfield College’s Online and Continuing Education Program offers accredited online college degree programs and online certificate programs.  Online learning provides military personnel the flexibility of completing the degree or certificate program of their choice while serving our country.

We work with veterans and active duty personnel all over the world to aid in the access of a quality education at Linfield by using their GI Bill® benefits.  Our Certifying Official, Norina Coffelt, and our Associate Registrar, John Gallagher, are here to assist you through the entire application process.

Linfield OCE Certifying Official: Norina Coffelt. Email Norina or call 503-883-2322, Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm, Pacific Time.

John Gallagher, Associate Registrar:

For transcript evaluation questions call toll free 800-452-4176 or 503-883-2446, Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm, Pacific Time.

Why Choose Linfield?

  • Linfield is an online military-friendly college.  Many of Linfield’s instructors were involved in the early design of online education. We have helped many active duty, reserve, veterans and their spouses pursue their educational dreams at Linfield.

  • Linfield gives credit for prior learning for a variety of experiences: on the job training, non-credit workshops, travel, personal interests, life experience, and volunteer responsibilities, as well as for training completed through military service.  

  • Chartered in 1858, Linfield is one of the oldest colleges in the Pacific Northwest and is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.

Some tips for prospective military students completing Linfield’s application and registration process:

1. Students should let Linfield know they are a Veteran or military personnel when applying. This will help the enrollment process move as smoothly as possible for you.

2. Linfield’s Certifying Official, Norina Coffelt, must certify your enrollment.  To do this, the following paperwork is needed:

  • Chapter 30, 35, 1606 or 1607 (Montgomery GI Bill®) - Either form 22-1990, Application For VA Education Benefits, or form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, if you have received benefits while attending a different school.
  • Chapter 31, The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program:  Form 28-1905, Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status. This form is issued by your VA counselor.
  • Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®):  Certificate of Eligibility issued by the VA which includes eligibility percentage.

When paperwork is complete, the Certifying Official will submit the Enrollment Certification to the Veteran's Administration in Muskogee, OK.

3. Certification occurs early in each semester or term.  If your registration changes, or if you withdraw completely, contact Linfield’s Certifying Official as soon as possible. Your benefit entitlement may also change.  If you change your major, you must complete form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, and send it to our Certifying Official.

4. What records should you send for transfer of college credits?  

Official transcripts from accredited colleges attended, SMART and/or AARTS record of training completed while in the military, and CLEP or DANTES transcripts of standardized exam results all are valuable records that may contain college credits. Request that official copies be sent to:  Linfield Online and Continuing Education Program, 900 SE Baker Street, #A456, McMinnville, OR 97128.

5. Students taking courses at Linfield and another institution concurrently must contact the Veteran's Certifying Official at the other institution and ask that they send an email to the Certifying Official at Linfield to ask if the courses will transfer to Linfield and apply to the student's program. Linfield will then respond appropriately.

6. Payment for registration of courses depends upon the chapter:

  • Chapter 30, 35, 1606 or 1607:  Payment is due upon registration
  • Chapter 31:  Linfield will bill the VA directly
  • Chapter 33:  VA pays Linfield directly based upon Certification

Questions? Contact Norina Coffelt, Linfield’s Certifying Official by email or call 800-452-4176 or 503-883-2322.

Begin browsing Linfield’s accredited bachelor’s degree and certificate programs.