Creative Writing Minor
The creative writing minor at Linfield College helps you improve your communication skills while exploring various styles of writing. You will learn everything from poetry and fiction to news and copy. We want you to be a well-rounded writer who is ready for employment once you receive your degree. We also have career guidance to help connect you with potential jobs and employers through our large network. You will be appointed an academic advisor to guide you with any questions you may have.
What is a Minor?
In addition to a major, you may elect to complete the requirements for a minor. A minor program consists of 20-30 credits, including prerequisites and support courses. At least 10 of the credits included in a minor must be taken at or through Linfield.
- Social media writing
- Creative digital writing
Many students have their own personal pursuits as well, like poetry, novel and songwriting.
Courses You Will Take
- ENGL 200 Intro to Creative Writing (4) (CS)
- ENGL 389 Creative Writing Minor Portfolio (1)
Plus three of the following:
- ENGL 316 Reading and Writing Poetry (4)
- ENGL 317 Reading and Writing Fiction (4)
- ENGL 318 Reading and Writing Scripts (4)
- ENGL 319 Reading and Writing Lit Nonfiction (4)
- ENGL 485 Senior Seminar: Creative Writing (4) (MWI)
One literature course from the following:
- ENGL 250 Poetry, Prose, and Plays (4)
- ENGL 270 Western American Literature (4)
- ENGL 300 Women Writers (Gens 300) (4)
- ENGL 301 Global Encounters (4)
- ENGL 304 Environmental Literature (3)
- ENGL 305 Diverse Voices In Literary Expression (4)
- ENGL 307 Contemporary Writers (4)
- ENGL 325 Literary Genres (4)
- ENGL 330 Major Figures (4)
- ENGL 385 The Novel in the United States (4)