Online and Continuing Education

Admission Requirements and Priority Deadlines for Linfield's Online Programs

Linfield University residential campus in fall

Priority Deadlines for Each Start Term

While students may still submit an application after these deadlines, completing an application by the indicated date assures the student the best possible start to their online college experience.  Once a student is admitted, they will still need to meet with their academic advisor, apply for financial aid, register, pay their tuition bill and order books.  

TERM Priority Application Deadline
Fall  August 10
Winter December 10
Spring  January 10
Summer June 10

GPA Requirements:

  • Minimum GPA of 2.00 in completed college coursework
  • If you have not completed college credits, an official copy of your high school diploma or GED will be required for admission. If time has elapsed since your high school graduation, please plan on providing us with a brief personal statement. Contact your admission counselor for additional information.
  • The RN to BSN major requires a minimum of a 2.75 overall GPA. Students who are below the major GPA requirement will be admitted as pre-RN to BSN and work with an academic advisor to raise their GPA before starting their first nursing course.

Transfer Credit Policy:

  • Your admission counselor can complete a pre-admission transcript evaluation to assist you in understanding how your credits will transfer
  • Credits completed at regionally accredited colleges and universities and credits from AP or IB coursework are evaluated on a course-by-course basis.
  • Grades of C- and below will not transfer
  • Maximum of 72 semester credits (108 quarter credits) from all 2-year colleges combined will be accepted
  • Service members and veterans send a copy of your SMART or AARTS record. For College Level Exam Program (CLEP), send an official transcript of CLEP scores. For American Council on Education (ACE) accredited training programs completed through your employer or professional organization, request an official ACE transcript.

You can get additional transfer credit information on our Transfer Credits page or by contacting your admission counselor

International Credentials

  • Students with international credentials will need to submit a translated credential evaluation with their admission application, please contact your admission counselor for additional information
  • Applicants who had international credentials, but are citizens or can file for Federal Financial Aid are exempt from submitting proof of English proficiency
  • Applicants to Linfield’s Online and Continuing Education Program who are non-native English speakers will be required to show evidence of English proficiency prior to admission. Students who present TOEFL scores of 550 and above (paper-based exam) or 213 and above (computer-based exam) are generally eligible for admission with a minimum grade point average of 2.0 in previous college work. Prospective students may choose to take a Linfield Essay Test in place of the TOEFL. Those who earn a score of 0-3.5 (out of a possible 6) on the essay test are not admissible to Linfield. Those who earn a score of 4-5.5 are admitted and are required to complete the Inquiry Seminar INQS 126 within their first year in the program. Students who score higher than 5.5 are admitted with no restrictions.

Financial Aid Eligibility

Students who plan to apply for federal aid should be aware that the federal government requires students to be qualified to study at the postsecondary level, and have an equivalent to a high school diploma, for example students must meet one of the following criteria to qualify for aid:

  • Have earned 60 transferrable semester college credits (credits must be eligible for transfer credit at Linfield University to count)
  • Have received a high school diploma
  • Have received a GED
  • For a homeschooled student from a state where state law requires the student to obtain a secondary school completion credential for homeschool, we may need a copy of that credential. Or for a homeschooled student from a state where state law does not require the student to obtain a secondary school completion credential for homeschool, a transcript or the equivalent, signed by the student's parent or guardian, that lists the secondary school courses the student completed and includes a statement that the student successfully completed a secondary school education in a homeschool setting
  • Have completed secondary education in a foreign copy and have a “secondary school leaving certificate”

Once your official transcript evaluation has been complete and if you do not have 60 transferrable semester college credits, you may required to submit proof that you are qualified to study at the postsecondary level, and have an equivalent to a high school diploma.

Questions? Contact Linfield's Office of Admission for the Online and Continuing Education program at or 503-883-2213.SaveSave