Last revised: April 6, 2020, 2:20 p.m. (mask recommendation on campus)
These are unprecedented times; every day, we learn something new about COVID-19 and its spread. Regulatory and policy bodies worldwide are being forced to rapidly adapt their approaches to meet the ever-changing situation, and we’re doing the same at Linfield College.
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown today issued a new executive order (No. 20-12). In accordance with that order and the latest guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Oregon’s Higher Education Coordinating Commission, Linfield will be limiting on-campus operations to mission-critical functions. Employees not designated “mission-critical” are to discuss with supervisors how best to work remotely.
- View information and frequently asked questions for students and families
- View further information for staff
- View further information for faculty
These are challenging times. As human beings, we are hardwired to connect to each other. Social distancing is difficult, and has the potential to produce even higher levels of stress and anxiety for a close-knit community like Linfield’s. Please take care of your mental health, even as you are taking care of your physical wellness.
Despite all the challenges we face, Linfield will continue to live out its mission to “connect learning, life and community.” We will share new and updated information as we receive such information.
Check this page regularly, and send any questions you have to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be well, be blessed; and wash your hands!
Miles K. Davis, Ph. D.
Additional coronavirus information for the Linfield community
Recommendation for homemade masks when around people on campus: In accordance with current CDC recommendations, Linfield is recommending that our faculty, staff and students wear a homemade or non-medical grade mask any time that you are likely to interact with other people on campus. This does not include while alone in your office or while outside (unless the outside activity requires being in close proximity to other people). There are options for making these masks on the CDC website or on other websites.
- Previous Linfield Coronavirus Communications
- Health information and frequently asked questions
- Group gatherings and events: Following the Governor’s orders, all events are cancelled until further notice.
- Travel: Any travel not related to admission is non-essential and is therefore not allowed.
- Athletics: The Northwest Conference has suspended all spring sports, therefore all Linfield athletic events are suspended at this time.
We know how difficult this moment is in our history – this is not how we expected Spring 2020 to unfold. However, we are a resilient and caring campus. We deeply appreciate the work of so many faculty, staff and students who are rising to the challenge to keep our community safe and healthy, and our students on the path to success.
This is a rapidly changing situation and we will bring the Linfield community updates on a regular basis as more information comes to us.
We have a team of administrators, staff and faculty form both the Portland and McMinnville campuses who have been working together since the outbreak in China became known.
- This team has been creating signage and messaging on ways to prevent the spread of infections, as well as increasing the numbers of hand sanitizer stations and disinfectant spray and paper towels available to use in classrooms, meeting rooms, residence halls and the dining hall.
- The cleaning crew has increased the frequency of disinfecting high touch areas such as doorknobs and handles, hand railing, elevator buttons and hard surfaces.
- Residence Life staff are reviewing infection control materials with students, stocking “flu kits” and checking in with students who are ill.
- We are in frequent contact with Yamhill Public Health officials, as well as the Oregon Health Authority.
- We are connected with our colleagues at other colleges and universities and are sharing with and learning from them as we all navigate this situation.