Requirements for Majors and Minors
The computer science major is available as a bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree, as defined in the section on degree requirements for all majors in this course catalog.
For a major: At least 40 credits in Computer Science including 160, 161, 260, 262, 305, 330, 370, 375, 377, 405, 430, 431, and 490; MATH 170, 230 and one course from the following MATH 175, 220, or 250. Students are encouraged to take these mathematics courses as early as possible because they provide a theoretical background for many COMP courses. While COMP 121 and 131 may not be counted toward the major, these courses are highly recommended. Students are strongly encouraged to take 480 Independent Study and 487 Internship.
For a minor: At least 20 credits in Computer Science including 121, 131, 160, and 161, and at least 6 credits from courses numbered 200 or higher.
For an Online Continuing Education major or certificates in Software Engineering, Database Administration, Web Application Development, and Cyber Security and Digital Forensics, see the Online and Continuing Education section..
In successfully completing a major in Computer Science, a student will demonstrate:
- understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science;
- in-depth knowledge of software development, networks and systems development and administration, and information management;
- ability to plan, design, implement, and maintain a hardware, software, or networked project both individually and as part of a group;
- ability to work in multiple programming environments, software development languages, and design paradigms;
- ability to orally present information and write clearly;
- ability to develop in-depth understanding of at least one specialty area of computer science through independent research and, wherever possible, internships;
- ability to understand and function well in an industrial or commercial environment through attachments or internship; and
- ability develop personal skills, planning and time management skills, problems solving and decision-making skills.