Art Students, Past and Present
Jim Busby class of 2004
Alumni of the Art Department have been accepted into a number of prestigious graduate programs, including the Pratt Institute in New York, the School of the Chicago Art Institute, and Claremont Graduate School. Other students have gone directly into careers in business, art therapy, bio-medical illustration, arts administration, graphic design, web design and publishing. Others have obtained the certification necessary for teaching art in elementary or secondary schools.
(Former and current art students: We realize this list is incomplete. Please send information about your art-related activities to Prof. Ron Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org)
A Sampling of Past and Current Linfield Art Student Activities and Achievements:
Internships help art majors make decisions about directions for their work and their careers. In recent years students have pursued internships working, usually though not always unpaid, in a variety of settings, ranging from graphic and web design for businesses and corporations to assisting in galleries and museums, including the Portland Art Museum, the Portland Institute for Contemporary Art, Broderick Gallery and Froelick Adelhart Gallery in Portland.
- Ryan Gerdes (09) is a graphic designer and illustrator in Portland, OR.
- Laura Johnson ('09) received her MFA from Pratt Institue.
- Nicole Wilson ('07) is seeking an MFA in Interior Architecture & Design from The Academy of Art in San Francisco, CA.
- KC Marold ('07) is an vintage intern at Highfield Estate winery, in Blenheim New Zealand.
- Laura Hayes ('07) is an assistant to the designer at Little Lark, a children's clothing company in Portland, OR.
- Trina Johnson ('06) Lives in London where she completed her M.A. in Eastern Art Studies from Sotheby's Institute of Art.
- Liz Spencer ('06) is seeking an MA in fasion and the environment, at the London College of Fashion.
- Russell Dichter ('05) teaches science in Ogden, UT.
- Chris Miles ('05) is the graphics production manager for the News Register newspaper in McMinnville, OR.
- Jim Busby ('04) is an apprentice with world famous potter, Jeff Shapiro in New York. He has applied to the University of Iowa graduate program.
- Ryan Clark (04) works as an art director for a food marketing company in Dowtown Seattle.
- Steve Shoffner ('00) received hs MFA from Claremont Graduate University.
- Tammy Bremer ('99) received her MFA from the Chicago Art Institute and is a practicing artist in Portland Oregon.
- David Anderson ('97) formerly webmaster for the Statesman's Journal in Salem, Oregon, now works for a web design firm in Portland, Oregon.
- Shannon Kindy ('97) is a free-lance graphic designer and works for Spirit Mountain casino in Sheridan, Oregon.
- Polly Bartels continues to direct and own a prestigious art gallery in Scottsdale, AZ.
- Jacci Den Hartog ('84; MFA Claremont Graduate School '86) has produced a distinctive body of work which has gained her a national following, and which was featured in 1995 in the 44th Biennial Exhibition of Contemporary American Painting at the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington D.C. Jacci currently lives in Los Angeles with her husband, fellow artist
- Patrick Nickell ('84), is a practicing artist in L.A.
- Richard Larson ('85) is a practicing artist in Seattle, WA.