Linfield College Alumni Scholarship Fund
The Alumni Scholarship Fund was established in 1988-89 by the Linfield Alumni Association. The scholarship is awarded to students who meet the minimum GPA of 3.25, demonstrate involvement in school and/or community activities and are children, grandchildren or siblings of Linfield alumni. A separate application is required and the scholarship recipients will be selected by the Alumni Scholarship Committee. Beginning with the 2019-20 academic year, scholarships will be awarded in the amount of $6,000 (to be divided over four years), and are guaranteed for freshman and sophomore years. For junior and senior years, recipients must maintain a Linfield cumulative GPA of 3.0 in order to continue receiving the award.
For the Donor . . .
If you're like most alumni, your Linfield experience didn't just happen. It took a lot of hard work – from you, your parents, your professors . . . and you probably received some financial help along the way as well. You weren’t alone. In fact, 90% of Linfield students receive financial aid.
That is where the Linfield College Alumni Scholarship Fund comes in. The Linfield Alumni Scholarship Fund is administered by the Alumni Leadership Council and is the only fund specifically targeted to support legacy students. The fund’s growth depends on annual giving by Linfield alumni and friends.
This scholarship helps make the Linfield experience possible for deserving students with demonstrated promise and financial need. What’s more, your contribution helps your alma mater, by boosting the participation rate of annual alumni giving, which is a major factor in the yearly rankings of U.S. colleges. Your annual gift is important to the daily lives of Linfield students – and it also elevates Linfield’s standing among peer institutions, while enhancing the value of your degree.
It’s hard to put a price on the life-changing relationships you experienced with dedicated Linfield faculty, coaches and staff who knew you and wanted to help you find your path and succeed. By giving to the Alumni Scholarship Fund, you can help a young student have the Linfield experience that opened a world of opportunity for you.
To contribute to the fund, give online through our secure online form, or send your gift to Linfield College, Office of Institutional Advancement, 900 SE Baker Street, McMinnville, OR 97128, or call us at 503.883.2607. Thank you!
For the Applicant . . .
Who is Eligible?
- Confirm that he/she is the child, grandchild or sibling of a Linfield alumnus/a, by submitting the name, class year and current address, phone number and email address of the alumni relation.
- Be an entering freshmen or transfer student
- Demonstrate academic success by having a GPA of 3.25 or above.
- Submit an essay of between 300 and 500 words addressing the topic, "Describe a problem you’ve solved or a problem you’d like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma – anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution."
- Preference is given to those with financial need; have a FAFSA® form on file with the Financial Aid Office.
- Supply a resume listing any job experience, community service, school activities and other accomplishments.
- Plan to enroll full time in fall semester. (Distribution of the award depends on confirmed full-time enrollment of 12 units or more.)
How to Apply
Apply online or download and complete the scholarship application The application, your resume and your essay should be sent to the Office of Alumni Relations at Linfield College, 900 SE Baker St, McMinnville, OR 97128.
Beginning with the 2019-20 academic year, the amount of the scholarships will be $6,000 to be split over four years. The awards are guaranteed for the freshman and sophomore years. For the junior and senior years, recipients must maintain a Linfield cumulative GPA of 3.0 in order to continue receiving the award.
Once applications are submitted, Alumni Relations staff will verify all appropriate information, including the applicant’s alumni relation, financial need and cumulative GPA. The applications will be evaluated by the Alumni Association’s Scholarship Committee. Applications are due February 1 the year prior to the student matriculating at Linfield.
The application process requires the application form (below), an essay and a resume. Click here to see a sample resume.
For more information, contact Joni Claypool, Director of Constituent Engagement, by email or call 503-883-2636.