The Major Occasion: A Major Exploration Event
This is the Major Event of the semester!
The Major Occasion celebrates Linfield’s variety of majors, helps students connect interests with areas of study, and explains how to declare or change a major. Wherever you are in pursuing your academic path, we’re here to support you.
Did you know?
- Students are required to declare a major upon completing 45 semester credits.
- If you are ready, you can declare your major earlier than that.
- Once you declare a major, you can always change it to something else if that’s what’s right for you.
Fall Semester Event: November (after registration for January / Spring courses)
- Drop-In Advising and Career Development appointments
- Resources for exploring, declaring, or changing areas of study
- Share your story: “Map your Major Path” and “What’s your Major Story?” activities
- Food and prizes
- Cupcake decorating
- Photo booth
Hosted by Academic Advising and Career Development in Melrose 010 (Melrose Hall Lower Level)
Spring Semester Event: March (before registration for Summer / Fall courses)
- More information to come
Fun Fact: As a tradition, newly declared Linfield anthropology majors carry around a chimpanzee statue for 24 hours to encourage questions about their field of study. Does your department have fun traditions or stories around major declaration that you'd like to share with us? We want to hear from you! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to share your story.