- Linfield College
Academic Advising

Academic Advising for Current Students


Academic Advising Updates in Relation to COVID-19


Every Linfield student has a faculty advisor who provides guidance and mentorship throughout the Linfield journey. Consultation with and/or approval by the advisor is required for many of the academic program decisions that students make. Because academic advising is based on a system of shared responsibility, students are expected to prepare for and attend regular meetings with their advisors throughout their studies at Linfield. Refer to the Academic Advising Roadmap for a visual of the advising process! 

Advising Resources

Academic Resources


Frequently Asked Questions

I'm having trouble deciding on a major?

There are many resources available to help students choose a major. Visit the Declaring a Major page for information.

I'm struggling in my classes. Where can I go for help?

Learning Support Services provides help to students with time management, note-taking, and test taking strategies. Tutoring for specific courses is also available. 

Can I take summer classes and transfer them to Linfield?

Yes. Credit earned at another accredited institution can be transferred to Linfield and applied toward a student’s academic program. Students wishing to take classes at another school may obtain pre-approval for such work by completing the Approval for Study at a Domestic Institution Outside Linfield University form (available from the Registrar’s office).

How do I change advisors?

Students are welcome to change faculty advisors at any time, however once a major has been chosen, the faculty advisor must be in that department. Change of advisor requires a signature from the new advisor. Students uncertain about the choice of a new faculty advisor should ask for assistance from the Office of Academic Advising. View a list of Linfield's faculty advisors for more information.

I am double majoring. Do I need to declare a faculty advisor for each major?

If you are double majoring, it is required to have a faculty advisor for each of your majors. You may do this by obtaining signatures of both new advisors on the Declaration of Academic Program / Change of Advisor Form and turning it into the Academic Advising office. Make sure to write which advisor goes to which major on the form!