Tutoring Participation Agreement
- All Upward Bound students will be required to attend tutoring. Students will only receive stipends for tutoring sessions they attend.
a student is unable to attend tutoring for any reason, he/she needs to inform
the Upward Bound office. He/she should contact the office before the absence
occurs, if at all possible. If he/she is unable to contact the Upward Bound office
before the absence he/she must also do one of the following within a
week after the absence:
- call Greg by telephone (971-237-3188 or 503-883-2206) or e-mail (email@example.com)
- send a note via the mail
- speak to either Madeline or Greg at school
- A student’s absence will be excused for
the following reason only if:
- they have a regular job that conflicts with tutoring and have pre-arranged their absence;
- they are ill;
- they have a family emergency; or
- they have a sports conflict and have pre-arranged their absence. An excused absence means that you remain in good standing in the program. It does not mean you still receive a stipend for the missed session(s).
- Students will bring paper, pencil and enough work to keep them working for two hours. If students do not have enough homework, they should bring something to read. Those students who have “nothing” to do should anticipate being given an assignment.
- Students may not use cell phones during tutoring sessions. Phones used inappropriately will be confiscated and returned at the end of tutoring. Students may bring iPods for use during tutoring but this privilege will be revoked if their use is disruptive to others.
- Students will not bring visitors to any Upward Bound activity unless they have received permission from the UB office first.
- Tobacco, alcohol and/or other controlled substances are strictly forbidden at tutoring sessions.
- Students need to remember that we are guests of Linfield College, and all Upward Bound participants are expected to respect college property and behave in a mature manner while on campus.
- Report cards /progress reports are due within two weeks of the end of each grading period. Stipends will be withheld until report cards are received.
- Full stipends will be paid once a month to those students who successfully participate in all tutoring sessions, weekly school meetings and other program activities. This means stipends may be reduced or withheld if a student is not being productive during tutoring. Simply attending tutoring is not enough…Students need to come prepared to work.
- Students who receive more than one D or any F's on a report card will be informed in writing that they are being placed on program probation. Students must also maintain a 2.5 GPA in order to participate in the program.** Note: Students can be placed on probation based on summer or academic year grades.
An important reminder: It is the goal of Upward Bound to work with students who are dedicated to academic improvement. Students who do not participate or who are disruptive or uncooperative will be removed from the program.