President’s Advisory Committee for Environment and Sustainability (ACES)
Areas of Focus: American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment; Sustainability Awareness, Education and Outreach
Purpose: ACES exists to promote the ethos, education and practice of sustainability1 at Linfield College and in its communities.
Activities: ACES achieves its purpose through the following actions:
- Ensuring compliance with the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment by taking steps to ultimately achieve carbon neutrality at Linfield.2
- Advocating continuously for the ethos of sustainability to be reflected in the values and goals of the college.
- Supporting the network of constituents developing and implementing sustainable activities on the campuses and communities of the college.
- Providing sustainability-related educational opportunities for all Linfield constituents.3
- Communicating the various efforts to practice and promote sustainability at Linfield with college constituents.
Membership: Presently the number of participants is flexible, but members of faculty, staff and the student body is essential. Membership diversity should also be reflected in the taskforces of ACES, which are charged with developing and implementing the above actions as keyed below. Members should represent both Linfield campuses and all major divisions and programs of the college.
- Strategic Planning Taskforce (Actions: 1 and 5)
- Climate Action Plan Taskforce (Actions: 2 and 4)
- Communication, Marketing and Outreach Taskforce (Actions: 3 and 5)
1. At Linfield College, sustainability is the practice of equitably meeting the needs of current and future generations through activities promoting environmental stewardship, social equity, and economic efficiency.
2. President Thomas L. Hellie signed the commitment on behalf of Linfield College on April 22, 2008.
3. Linfield constituents include alumni, trustees, faculty, staff, students and their parents, and members of Linfield’s communities.
DATE OF ADOPTION: APRIL 28, 2011