Fall 2017 Pre-Orientation Programs
Congratulations on your decision to join the Linfield Wildcat family! Prior to the start of orientation, Linfield offers pre-orientation programs to give new students an opportunity to become immersed into the life of the college by focusing on an area of passion. You may apply for more than one pre-orientation program, but you may only participate in one. If you apply for more than one, you'll be required to rank your preferences during the application process.
Students participating in the pre-orientation programs arrive on Friday, August 18, a week before New Student Orientation, and move directly into their assigned fall housing. There will be a welcome session for students and parents/family on Friday afternoon, August 18. After that, parents and family are encouraged to return to campus on Thursday and Friday, August 24 and 25, for orientation activities. Please note that students who are planning to participate in a fall sport – football, cross country, soccer or volleyball – or cheerleading will not be able to participate in a pre-orientation program because of conflicting schedules.
Following is a brief description of each pre-orientation program:
Arts and Humanities in Action (AHA) Immersion Lab - August 18-24, 2017 This dynamic program provides an extraordinary opportunity for students to explore and create. Students will learn about major fields of arts and humanities, understand what questions they ask and may answer, and how to connect with these fields.
First CLAS (Community, Leadership, Action & Service) - August 18-23, 2017 In this service-learning and leadership program, participants serve with local non-profits throughout the week, learn about important campus and community resources, gain valuable leadership skills, and discover what McMinnville and Linfield have to offer. Students will also have plenty of opportunities to connect with fellow participants, be mentored by student leaders, settle into campus, and more.
iFOCUS (inter disciplinary First year Orientation Camp for Undergraduate Students) - August 18-24, 2017 Students in iFOCUS start their Linfield science career with an interdisciplinary hands-on laboratory and field experience. Participants have the chance to work with Linfield College faculty and student researchers before classes begin and learn about science across the traditional science disciplines of biology, chemistry, math and physics at Linfield.
The SOIL (Sustainably Oriented Interconnected Living) Project - August 18-23, 2017 Participants in The SOIL Project will learn about what it means to live sustainably at Linfield and in the McMinnville community. Students will learn about and engage with local sustainability resources, Zero Waste efforts, and sustainable local businesses. They’ll also gain first-hand experience volunteering at local, organic farms, navigating the town and local transit systems, and learning how to adopt and apply sustainable lifestyle practices. Upon completion, participants will have connected with other new students and developed skills and resources for sustainability change making on campus and in the community.
Are you ready to apply? Here are a few things to note before you proceed:
- Your Linfield email address and Linfield Student ID number are required fields in the application. If you don’t have yours yet, go to linfield.edu/catnet to submit a request.
- You may apply for more than one pre-orientation program; you will need to rank your preferences. You may participate in only one pre-orientation program.
- The application needs to be completed in its entirety; you cannot save your work and return to finish it later.
- No money is required at the time of application.
- If you are accepted into a pre-orientation program, you will be notified by mid July. You will have until July 28 to confirm your participation. The non-refundable all-inclusive fee of $50 is due August 4. The fee reserves your space and covers all program expenses including food (three meals a day), lodging, transportation, supplies, and activities.
- The final day to apply is June 30, 2017.