Days of Service
What are Days of Service?
Days of Service are one-time service opportunities providing students and staff with meaningful service experiences in the McMinnville area. Through the four major service events each year Linfield students have logged hundreds of hours reading to youth, planting food crops, serving meals in soup kitchens, removing invasive species, building homes and more. Different types of projects happen at each of our events so click through the links to see what we have done in the past!
Want to be a Project Site Leader? E-mail email@example.com for more information.
September 23, 2017 Taste of Service
Start the school year off right by spending the morning getting to know a local non-profit. Join your fellow first-year students and others new to Linfield as you explore volunteering in the McMinnville community. Serve together as a team at various community-based organizations. Thank you for making this event so successful! See below for upcoming service days!
This year we logged over 100 hours of community service at:
- Rock of Ages
- Miller Woods
- McMinnville Public Library
- Hope on the Hill
- Habitat For Humanity Restore
- Gallery Theater
October 28, 2017 Make A Difference Day
For over 20 years, Make A Difference Day has been the largest national day of community service for the United States. Make A Difference Day is proudly sponsored by USA WEEKEND Magazine and Points of Light. "Make A Difference Day is a celebration of neighbors helping neighbors" (USA WEEKEND, 2013). In 2012, an estimated 3 million Americans served their communities in various projects. Join teams of Linfield Volunteers for a national day of doing good!
Register for Make a Difference Day Here!
January 13, 2018 MLK Jr. Day of Service
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, what are you doing for others?" -Martin Luther King Jr.
Linfield's Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service honors his legacy of peaceful community action. Together, every action can bring us closer to understanding each other and creating a more inclusive and celebratory community.
Linfield's Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service is proudly sponsored by: the office of Multicultural Programs, Community Engagement and Service, and First Year Experience.
Service sites are TBD.
April 21th, 2018 Global Youth Service Day
Service project leaders and volunteers are needed to participate in Linfield's Global Youth Service Day. GYSD will highlight the role that youth play in their communities around the world and address the current needs of our local community through various done-in-a-day service projects that focus on sustainability, hunger, homelessness, and youth empowerment.
Do you want to be a project leader? Email the Change Corps team for more information.
Past GYSD Projects have included:
- Willamina School Garden: Volunteers helped out in the new community garden in Willamina by starting seeds in pots and tilling the garden beds.
- Community Gardening Project: Volunteers prepared the garden, planted new starts, and helped with weeding and composting projects.
- Salvation Army: Students organized and sorted goods at the Salvation Army
- Linfield Garden: Volunteers helped out in the garden in various areas including harvesting some produce, weeding, and preparing garden beds for spring crops.
- Miller Woods Work Party: Invasive species were cleared by hand and native species were planted in their place.
- Yamhill Soil and Water Conservation District : Volunteers cleared trails, potted plants, and constructed a greenhouse.