A number of activities are planned beginning at 11:30 a.m. through the remainder of the day. The schedule of activities includes:
11:30 a.m.: A Sesquicentennial Convocation will be held in the Richard and Lucille Ice Auditorium in Melrose Hall. President Thomas L. Hellie and Glenna Kruger, president of the Board of Trustees, will make brief remarks, including the announcement of what is planned for the area where the Old Oak stood and plans for use of the wood preserved after the tree fell in January.
Noon: The dedication of the Sesquicentennial Plaza will be held in front of Walker Hall. Over 1,100 bricks honoring alumni, faculty, staff and friends of the college will be installed in the plaza along with the sesquicentennial seal. A time capsule, to be opened at Linfield's bicentennial celebration in 2058, will be buried under the sesquicentennial seal.
1-5 p.m.: Replicas of items contained in the time capsule will be on display in the Anthropology Museum in Walker Hall.
1 p.m.: An open choir rehearsal will be held in the Delkin Recital Hall in the Vivian A. Bull Music Center.
2 p.m.: Katherine (Pitman) Huit, a 1988 Linfield graduate, will lead a historical walking tour of campus, beginning at the Fred Meyer Lounge in Riley Hall. Huit is the director of the Yamhill County Museum.
3 p.m.: A symposium featuring student research projects throughout the academic year will be held in the Jereld R. Nicholson Library. Students will be available to discuss and explain their projects which include research from across the curriculum.
4 p.m.: A song contest will be held in the Oak Grove. Students, faculty, staff and alumni have been encouraged to write songs that reflect some aspect of their Linfield experience. Songs will be judged on melody, composition, lyrics and consistency with the topic. Up to six finalists will be selected to perform. A winner will be named at the end of the program.
8 p.m.: The play "Bleacher Bums" will be presented in the Marshall Theatre in Ford Hall.
Although Linfield traces its roots to the Oregon City College, it wasn't until Jan. 30, 1858, that the Baptist College at McMinnville was chartered by the Oregon Territorial Legislature. The college was later named McMinnville College. The original McMinnville building was on the present site of the First Baptist Church, at First and Cowls streets. Through the early years, the college also served as McMinnville's secondary school and didn't award its first baccalaureate degree until 1884. The college moved to the current campus on land donated by Samuel and Mahala Cozine. Pioneer Hall, the first building on campus, was built in 1883.
For many years, the college faced a struggle for survival, as frontier men and women were more concerned with forging a living than earning a formal education. But its future was assured in 1922 when Frances Ross Linfield gave her properties in Spokane, Wash., to the school. In honor of the gift and to show thanks for the more than $250,000 the college realized from the sale of the land, trustees renamed the college in honor of Mrs. Linfield's late husband, the Rev. George Fisher Linfield. The college maintains its American Baptist tradition, although faculty, students and staff are bound by no religious requirements.
The college has grown from its humble beginnings into a private, comprehensive undergraduate institution that is recognized regionally and nationally for its strong teaching faculty, outstanding academic programs and distinctive international emphasis. The campus now covers 193 acres, including a new library, and new music, art and theatre facilities, all opened within the last five years. Linfield's programs have expanded beyond McMinnville to include a Portland Campus, offering degrees in nursing and health sciences, and an adult degree program offering degrees online and at eight sites in Oregon.
For more information, call 503-883-2607.