What is PLACE?
PLACE is a campus-wide mechanism to promote innovation in liberal arts education and civic engagement through the exploration of thematic connections among modes of thinking and inquiry. It has several goals:
- To motivate experimentation in liberal education both inside and outside of the classroom.
- To promote civic engagement and social enterprise, encouraging us to apply the knowledge and skills we are continually developing to the public domain, be it locally, nationally, or globally.
- To cultivate an intellectual, interdisciplinary community through the exploration of a theme from a variety of perspectives.
- To create feedback loops to share experiences from faculty, students, and community members and disseminate this information.
- To serve as a springboard for future curricular and extra-curricular development at Linfield and as a model that other higher learning institutions could follow.