Johnandrew Slominski - Assistant Professor
Vivian Bull Music Center 141
- B.M. in Piano Performance
- B.A. in Music Theory Pedagogy
- M.M. in Piano Performance and Literature
- D.M.A in Piano Performance and Literature, Eastman School of Music, University of Rochester
As a performing pianist, I appear internationally as a solo recitalist, concerto soloist, recording artist, and chamber musician. My academic research focuses on pedagogy, history, and cognition of music theory, and on the integration of historical and modern sources and methods for approaching musical improvisation.
Eastman School of Music, University of Rochester
- Assistant Professor of Music Theory; Assistant Professor of Piano
Virginia Commonwealth University
- Assistant Professor of Piano
Sunderman Conservatory at Gettysburg College
- Visiting Instructor of Piano
Rebecca Penneys Piano Festival, University of South Florida
- Resident Faculty Artist
Founder and Director, “Classical Music on the Spot” – summer institute for 18th-century keyboard improvisation.
Pianist for solo concerto, recitals and chamber music throughout the US and Canada; masterclass clinician and adjudicator.
- "Johnandrew Slominski, piano," Centaur Records 3516'
- "The True Art: C.P.E. Bach’s Fantasias" – in progress
- "Haydn’s Narrative Revisited: A Topical Analysis" – in progress
- “Reconstructing a Rivalry.” Review ofCounterpoint and Partimento: Methods of Teaching Composition in Late Eighteenth-Century Naples, by Peter van Tour. Notes
- "Toward a Galant Pedagogy: Partimenti and Schemata as Tools in the Pedagogy of Eighteenth-Century Style Improvisation." Music Theory Online, 21, no. 3
Honors and Awards
Music Theory Special Research Award: Eastman School of Music; Professional Development Grants: Eastman School of Music; Silver Medalist: Inaugural International Keyboard Odyssiad (Colorado, USA); Jerald C. Graue Fellowship Award for Excellence in Musicology; Grant Winner: Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
Society for Music Theory; College Music Society; Music Teachers’ National Association