Japanese Major and Minor Requirements
For a major in Japanese
40 credits in language courses numbered 202 and above, including:
- MDLA 380
- MDLA 483. By departmental invitation, students may substitute MLJP 490 (Honor Thesis) for MDLA 483.
- Study abroad: Full year in Tokyo or Kyoto. Two semesters of study abroad are required, normally yielding at least 20 of the 40 required credits.
For a major in Japanese Studies
40 credits including:
- MLJP 201; 202; 240; 301; 302; 360; MDLA 483;
- three years of Japanese, or equivalent level of proficiency (ACTFL Intermediate High) including one 300- or 400-level Japanese language course taken after study abroad;
- at least 12 credits taken abroad in Japan; at least one course from among the following: TCCA 230, HIST 124, HIST 210, POLS 210, RELS 160/ PHIL 160, RELS 218, PHIL 375, or PHIL 470.
- One semester or more of study abroad.
For a minor in Japanese
- 20 credits in courses numbered 202 and above
- Study Abroad: Fall semester in Yokohama. Students normally earn 10 credits toward the minor during the required semester in Japan. The Japanese course taken abroad in August does not count toward the minor.