French and Francophone African Studies Major and Minor
For a major in French Studies
40 credits in language courses numbered 202 and above, including:
- MDLA 380
- MLFR 485
- MDLA 483 or MLFR 490
- One course in Francophone African Studies
- Study Abroad: Majors and minors in French Studies study in France (Angers, Aix).The third year abroad normally yields at least 20 of the 40 required. The semester abroad yields at least 15 of the 40 credits required.
For a minor in French Studies:
- 20 credits in courses numbered 202 and above.
- Study Abroad: Majors and minors in French Studies study in France (Angers, Aix). Up to twelve credits may be available during the semester abroad, depending on program offerings.
Francophone African Studies
For a major in Francophone African Studies
46 credits in courses numbered 202 and above, including:
- MLFA 230 and 240
- MLFR 301 and 302
- MDLA 380
- MDLA 483 or MLFR 490 (Honor Thesis – by departmental invitation only)
- MLFA 486
- 2 additional courses taught in English by other departments on campus (see below) or at Gaston Berger in Senegal. Courses with a significant content related to Africa or people of African descent include: AAVC 210; ANTH 111; ENGL 305, 365; HIST 123, 125, 318; MUSC 080, 253; SOAN 265; courses with the same theoretical framework as African Studies (Postcolonial Studies, Gender Studies, Postmodern Studies, etc.) or that can be used as a background to understand African realities include: EDUC 302; PHIL 430 (if topic pertains to African Studies); POLS 210, 370 (if topic pertains to African Studies), 384; RELS 140, 210, 310, 452. While two semesters of study spent in Senegal, yielding at least 16 of the 46 required credits, are recommended, candidates for the major may need to study only one semester in Senegal. The required length of stay depends upon their French language proficiency and placement which will be determined by the French faculty when entering Linfield.
- Study Abroad: Majors and minors in Francophone African Studies study in Senegal (Dakar and St. Louis)
For a minor in Francophone African Studies
23 credits, including:
- MLFR 202 and 301
- MLFA 230 or 240
- One course from another Linfield department from among those listed above for the major
- 9 credits taken abroad. Majors and minors in Francophone African Studies study in Senegal (Dakar and St. Louis).