Students receive awards for participation in UMW

Several students and faculty members received recognition from the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival for their participation in the UMW play performed in March.

Juniors Monterill Anderson, Madison Sanchez and sophomore Mariko Kajita received Irene Ryan nominations. Sophomore Jeremy Odden received the Meritorious Achievement Award Certificate of Merit for Multi Media Engineer, and senior Amanda Maxwell received Meritorious Achievement Award Certificate of Merit for State Management.

Faculty recognition includes Linfield Professor of Theater Arts Ty Marshall who received the Meritorious Achievement Award Certificate of Merit for Projections, and guest director and Linfield alum Michelle Seaton who received the Meritorious Achievement Award Certificate of Merit for Direction.

“I’m not a theater major, or even a minor, but being in shows is something that I love to do,” Sanchez said. “The theater community is half of what draws me in also, and I’ve seen a few talented friends get nominated for this award since I’ve been here. I never thought I would ever have the honor of being nominated for an Irene Ryan along with them. I loved the experience UMW gave me, and I was so happy just to be a part of it, but this recognition was the cherry on top.”

UMW had it’s world premiere at Linfield March 19 and Rob Urbinati, a Linfield artist-in-residence, wrote it using inspiration from some experiences of real Linfield students. It focuses on the themes of racism and bigotry that exist in a small, private college with a mostly white population.

“The students have been able to give continuous feedback with questions of language and generation-specific culture, said Urbinati, according to the press release on Linfield’s website.

“It empowers them and it helps me. If the dialogue sounds authentic, it’s due almost entirely to their input.”

Olivia Marovich

News editor

Olivia Marovich can be reached at
linfieldreviewnews@gmail.com.