Landscaping, maintenance goes over board

When spring comes around, the leaf blowers and lawn mowers come out to play all day long. I understand the school’s desire to keep the campus looking attractive, but the level of maintenance is sometimes over the top.

Linfield has bright green lawns and pristine bushes and flowers, and that’s something that really attracts prospective students and parents. But will it really matter if the grass is longer than an inch and there is some dirt on the sidewalks?

I don’t enjoy being suddenly woken up from a delicious slumber by a heinously loud riding lawn mower driving right past my open window at nine in the morning.

And as soon as I fall back asleep, along comes a trimmer, loudly grazing the edge of the grass that no one ever looks at.

My room and apartment are then filled with the lovely morning smells of gas fumes and cut grass, which don’t go away for hours.

In the afternoon, this disrupting maintenance continues outside of classroom windows, making it next to impossible to hear what the professor is saying and distracting the whole class. It’s to the point where it feels like it happens all day, every day.

Okay, my rant is over. The point is, the school could afford to cool it a bit with the landscaping. The campus is beautiful as it is.

It seems that there is constantly some kind of machine running somewhere on campus. It then makes me wonder about the sustainability of it all. As stated in our December editorial, Linfield uses 4-cycle blowers instead of 2-cycle blowers in an effort to be more environmentally conscious and produce less exhaust emissions.

This is great, but I still think that less maintenance would be a better option. Less fuel use is less fuel use.

I just think that there is an excess amount of maintenance on our campus. There is nothing wrong with some overgrown foliage and not-so-perfectly manicured shrubs.

It seems like an unimportant priority to me, and those are just my personal beliefs.

Some people enjoy seeing uniform landscapes and consider overgrowth to be an eyesore. But I prefer a more natural look. It’s one thing I love about Oregon—the lush, wildly growing plants and trees. I don’t see why a college campus has to be so tightly and neatly maintained. It begins to feel somewhat forced and unnatural.

I sincerely wonder the impact that less landscaping would have on our community. I’m guessing little to none, and I think that few would even notice. The campus would still be beautiful.

Kelsey Sutton

Managing editor

Kelsey Sutton can be reached at linfieldreviewmanaging@gmail.com.