Tattoos can be an opportunity, major setback

I love tattoos. On the day I turned 18, I got my first tattoo.

A year and a half later, I had three more tattoos.

I would love to get a wrist tattoo, but then I remembered that I’m supposed to be an adult.

A study by the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology has found that 36 percent of people between the ages of 18 and 29 have tattoos.

Tattoos are a way to express one’s individuality. However, many young people don’t think about their future before they get tattooed.

Today, many college-aged people are getting visible tattoos like anchors, owls and obnoxiously big blue butterflies.

However, in the real world, most employers think negatively about hiring people with visible tattoos. When you Google “careers that accept visible tattoos,” the list of results will consist of such fun occupations as Wal-Mart greeter, trucker and receptionist.

Now, I don’t think we at Linfield are paying a ridiculous tuition fee to become truckers.

There are lots of careers that allow tattoos, just so long as no one can see them.

For instance, teachers need to have their body art covered, as well as most nurses and medical doctors.

Some people believe that visible tattoos can easily be covered by a bandage, but if this is done almost daily, how many bandages is that a year?

Are the melodramatic song lyrics on your wrist really worth the hassle of slapping on a bandage every day?

If you are really so adamant about getting that rose tattooed on your person, perhaps consider getting it somewhere that won’t hinder your future.

I think that if a college-aged individual wants to have a rebellious body modification for the entire world to see and judge them by, why not go with a fun piercing?

Only 14 percent of Americans between the ages of 18 and 25, according to Northwestern University in England, have body piercings other than the ear.

Out of that, 83 percent belong to women and 19 percent of that are nose piercings, which are becoming rapidly more accepted.

The best part about piercings is that they are temporary. When college students with facial piercings graduate, they can easily take out their piercing and go to a job interview and be a grown up.

I would love to see a world where CEO’s have dragons tattooed on their necks and nurses can show off their tramp stamp of dolphins kissing.

But, unfortunately, that is not the world we live in.

For now, college-aged kids should be cautious about what and where they get tattooed.

Paige Jurgensen

Paige can be reached at linfieldreviewopinion@gmail.com