Music students featured in competition

Linfield seniors Kayla Wilkens and Chelsea Janzen have been recognized for their outstanding vocal and musical talent, and they are participating in upcoming regional conventions and competitions.

“Classical Singer Magazine has a high school and university vocal competition every year held at various colleges all around the country,” Janzen said. “Kayla was chosen as a winner for the Seattle region when she competed at Cornell College in Washington. I was chosen as a finalist for the Portland area at the Portland State University division.”

The selected finalists will compete in the National Competition.

“More than 500 college and graduate school singers will compete in the vocal competition at the Classical Singer Convention, which will be held in Chicago during May 25-28,” Janzen said.

This convention features workshops that help young singers develop their professional careers and provide a step-by-step guide to transitioning from college to life outside of academia.

Wilkens will also participate in the MetroArts Young Artists Debut! Concerto Competition in the Newmark Theater in Portland this April.

The competition features the top classical musicians in the region. It is run by Niel Deponte, who meets with winners for individual coaching in the months prior to the competition.

Wilkens also won the competition before in 2008.

This is not the only event in which she has been featured.

“I have also been invited to sing at the Gala Concert on March 16, and I will be singing something entertaining,” Wilkens said in an email.

Wilkens is in the process of auditioning for graduate programs and says that she wants to continue performing.

“I want to get to the point where I’m making a living doing what I love,” she said in an email.

Wilkens said multiple people have influenced her.

“I am very inspired by those I work with, and I owe much to Dr. Leonard, professor emeritus of music,” Wilkens said in an email. “My mom, however, is my true role model, and I am continually inspired by her courage and strength.”

Janzen is a vocal performance major and has participated in Linfield Concert Choir, opera theatre workshops and concert band. She has received various awards and honorable recognitions during her time at Linfield.

Both Janzen and Wilkens have studied with Gwen Leonard, professor emeritus of music.

___________________________________________________________________
Sam Nixon/
Staff writer
Sam Nixon can be reached at linfieldreviewculture@gmail.com.